Notices

supercharging CTR engine pros/cons

Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 PM
alllooksnnogo
Just another import lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging CTR engine pros/cons

A question on supercharging a 1998 CTR engine (approx 60k on engine)! Compression ratio is high 10.8, so I am wondering how good this would work! I was wondering what would have to, if anything, (besides obviuosly tuning and fuel managment) be done for this to run efficiently and safely!

thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 05:47 PM
gingas

I personally wouldn't supercharge a CTR or ITR compression too high. You'd be taking away what honda built the R for. Why did you buy the CTR with 185 hp vs the ITR 200 hp besides the CTR if I remember right cost more. Just curious. Leave it NA.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Civic2Scooby

A: fuck supercharging on a honda motor..the gains dont outweigh the cons with the size. B: fuck supercharing ITR/CTR.....rebuild it and boost it properly or fuck off.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
alllooksnnogo

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
A: fuck supercharging on a honda motor..the gains dont outweigh the cons with the size. B: fuck supercharing ITR/CTR.....rebuild it and boost it properly or fuck off.

haha...what?? Look goofy, lagit question...trust me...I know my engine!! I bought it for what it was....a wonderful N/A engine......it was just a question...now you fuck off

Thanks for the first answer....my thoughts....I've just been getting used to the power...you know what I mean I bought it becasue I recieved a good deal on the engine...its rare...and I do love it! I've put alot of work into it so far and have recieved some great gains bro! I put it on the dyno beside an ITR with a DC header, exhaust and CAI and we both got the same numbers to the wheels...pushing 175whp....I was pretty impressed with the tuning we did!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by alllooksnnogo
haha...what?? Look goofy, lagit question...trust me...I know my engine!! I bought it for what it was....a wonderful N/A engine......it was just a question...now you fuck off

Thanks for the first answer....my thoughts....I've just been getting used to the power...you know what I mean I bought it becasue I recieved a good deal on the engine...its rare...and I do love it! I've put alot of work into it so far and have recieved some great gains bro! I put it on the dyno beside an ITR with a DC header, exhaust and CAI and we both got the same numbers to the wheels...pushing 175whp....I was pretty impressed with the tuning we did!
more interested in who made more trq.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
alllooksnnogo

Not sure what his Wtrq was. With everything I did, I did not gererate too much more then stock....every thing was top end really but the coolest part about my tuning was the deversified Vtec between the low cam and the high cam....not sure if a lot of people have done this but we tuned the low cam vtec to kick in at 4500rpm and the high at 6400...smoothing out the power band considerably! No more chop...just a smooth line
Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Civic2Scooby

Not sure what his Wtrq was. With everything I did, I did not gererate too much more then stock....every thing was top end really but the coolest part about my tuning was the deversified Vtec between the low cam and the high cam....not sure if a lot of people have done this but we tuned the low cam vtec to kick in at 4500rpm and the high at 6400...smoothing out the power band considerably! No more chop...just a smooth line
this line here makes no sense.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM
IanB
MB4

That would be rare since B-series vtec engines have only 2 cam profiles, not 3. What I'm saying is, you are either on the normal cam profile, or the vtec cam profile, there is no 2 stage vtec like you are describing.

Don't boost a B16b, you picked the wrong engine if you want to boost, sell it to someone who will enjoy it NA and use a different engine for boost.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
this line here makes no sense.
:werd: I just thought the same thing to myself. He could be talking about the secondaries on a GSR motor?

I'm also wondering if he even did dyno the car, if he did he'd have both hp and trq numbers in his mind. I call :bs: on the "dyno" numbers.

In my opinion Type R engines shouldn't be boosted, they're wonderfully built the way they were meant to be...N/A! If you want boost just buy a GSR or LS engine and have your way with it.

Last edited by JoePoonani; 10-27-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want more power, sell your b16b and buy something more FI-friendly. No discussion needed.