Notices

Engine Weights

Old 12-12-2002, 08:57 AM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Weights

i was just doing some wondering lately as I do frequently. everyone says that swapping in an H22A into a civic always creates a lot of understeer due to the extra forward position mass added to the car. my question is, what are the weights of the H22 verses a B16 of B18C? Is an H series motor really that much heavier? secondly, is their anyway to counter act this? could I move the battery to the trunk and get a higher spring rate in the front to support the extra weight? and would these solutions return a stock handling feel? any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember the exact weight differential, but I believe it was somewhere around 80-100lbs. The fact that an H series engine would sit further to the front of the engine bay relative to a B series coumpounds the weight problem. Since it's further away from the car's center of gravity, it has a longer lever arm and excert more downward force than it would if it were closer to the firewall. You can make an H series swap into a Civic relatively streetable, but it'll take a good amount of suspension tuning. Most notably higher rear spring rates, and a larger rear swaybar to counteract the understeer induced by the added weight up front. You would have to get your suspension settings right, or else the handling characteristics of the car will be compromised.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:10 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

i see...so were talking about a lot of hassle to have an H22 in my daily driven civic.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:04 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by incublinkus
i see...so were talking about a lot of hassle to have an H22 in my daily driven civic.
Pretty much, but they can be streetable. It's been done, but you'll need to focus on suspension tuning.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:10 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Originally posted by inspyral
I don't remember the exact weight differential, but I believe it was somewhere around 80-100lbs. The fact that an H series engine would sit further to the front of the engine bay relative to a B series coumpounds the weight problem. Since it's further away from the car's center of gravity, it has a longer lever arm and excert more downward force than it would if it were closer to the firewall. You can make an H series swap into a Civic relatively streetable, but it'll take a good amount of suspension tuning. Most notably higher rear spring rates, and a larger rear swaybar to counteract the understeer induced by the added weight up front. You would have to get your suspension settings right, or else the handling characteristics of the car will be compromised.
So, if I actually did all this stuff, would the car feel solid? Like if I got Koni Yellows, and Custom Rate Ground Controls, and I got a beefy sway bar in the rear and maybe moved the batter to the back, how would my car handle? Like, driving it around in the twisties, what would I experience? Why does the H22 sit further forward? how much further forward does it sit? I take it getting my car corner weighted would be a good thing also.

Also, another question... what kind of axles do you use in this swap? are the strong and reliable? what kind of shiftlinkage do you use? I know you need a special mount kit too, which one would you recommend?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:55 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Honestly, if you want to build a reliable street car, or a car that will "feel solid in the twisties", I would not swap an H series into a Civic. The H22 sits further forward becuase it's simply a larger engine, and would not clear fit in the engine bay unless it's shifter forward. I believe you use the H series axles, but don't quote me on that. You have to convert to the H series cable shift linkage. HCP and HASport make mount kits.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:16 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Honestly, if you want to build a reliable street car, or a car that will "feel solid in the twisties", I would not swap an H series into a Civic. The H22 sits further forward becuase it's simply a larger engine, and would not clear fit in the engine bay unless it's shifter forward. I believe you use the H series axles, but don't quote me on that. You have to convert to the H series cable shift linkage. HCP and HASport make mount kits.
heh, thanks man, I don't know what I've been on. I really crave displacement I guess. I see all these other cars out that come with 2.5 liter 4 cyls, or 2.2 or 2.4 and they are the same size basically as a civic. I know honda doesn't need displacement as badly as other car companies, but I crave torque out of my civic.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:24 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by incublinkus
heh, thanks man, I don't know what I've been on. I really crave displacement I guess. I see all these other cars out that come with 2.5 liter 4 cyls, or 2.2 or 2.4 and they are the same size basically as a civic. I know honda doesn't need displacement as badly as other car companies, but I crave torque out of my civic.
You might want to look into a B20-VTEC, or a GSR with an LS rotating assembly, sleeved to 84mm.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:41 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

You might want to look into a B20-VTEC, or a GSR with an LS rotating assembly, sleeved to 84mm.
Why an LS crank? wouldn't this give me a goofy rod, stroke ratio? would I be able to rev as high?