Notices

Help me with a cooling issue

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it worked out. I'm assuming there was a lot of build-up inside the radiator, as tends to be the case.
Out of curiosity, which engine does it have? I'm assuming it's a 1.5, as I believe some or all of those run leaner than the D16 from that year (and later models).
Old 08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Fire
wanna run

Originally Posted by A-series
Glad you got it worked out. I'm assuming there was a lot of build-up inside the radiator, as tends to be the case.
Out of curiosity, which engine does it have? I'm assuming it's a 1.5, as I believe some or all of those run leaner than the D16 from that year (and later models).
Nah, I had put in a new OEM radiator in November '07 anyway so there wasnt a lot of build up. It is the 1.5.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for posterity:

If it's only mega-hot every once in a while, you can get away with running a higher water-to-coolant ratio to bring temps down. It's not a permanent solution, but its free and easy.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Fire
wanna run

Hell, as long as it is above 32 degrees you can run straight up water

PS- I did run pure water during my testing period
Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Fire
Hell, as long as it is above 32 degrees you can run straight up water

PS- I did run pure water during my testing period
thats not entirely true. Anti-freez doesn't just keep the coolant from freezing sub 32 degrees. It also helps to deter calcium build up and acts as a lubricant for the water pump. I would never run anything less than 70/30 (70 being water) I would also make sure that the water is distilled and not out of the garden hose. Tap and well water both have minerals and other chemicals in them that are detrimental to the longevity of your radiator and water pump

glad to hear you solved your cooling issue. I prob would have just bought a del sol 2 core for cheapsey on the interweb, buy I like the koyo ones as well.

Jesse - I'd never run an aftermarket radiator cap. I am not willing to compromise piece of mind just to save 2 dollars h:

Last edited by Civic2Scooby; 08-11-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Fire
wanna run

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
thats not entirely true. Anti-freez doesn't just keep the coolant from freezing sub 32 degrees. It also helps to deter calcium build up and acts as a lubricant for the water pump. I would never run anything less than 70/30 (70 being water) I would also make sure that the water is distilled and not out of the garden hose. Tap and well water both have minerals and other chemicals in them that are detrimental to the longevity of your radiator and water pump

glad to hear you solved your cooling issue. I prob would have just bought a del sol 2 core for cheapsey on the interweb, buy I like the koyo ones as well.

Jesse - I'd never run an aftermarket radiator cap. I am not willing to compromise piece of mind just to save 2 dollars h:
heh, sorry I wasnt being entirely serious there....
Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Fire
heh, sorry I wasnt being entirely serious there....
I didn't think you were, but the last thing I needed to see was some noob come in here and actually for once use the search button and end up fucking up his cooling system by sticking a garden hose into his radiator cause he would rather spend the extra 15 dollars on neons and shift knobs since he read on the interweb he didnt need coolant h:
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Fire
wanna run

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
I didn't think you were, but the last thing I needed to see was some noob come in here and actually for once use the search button and end up fucking up his cooling system by sticking a garden hose into his radiator cause he would rather spend the extra 15 dollars on neons and shift knobs since he read on the interweb he didnt need coolant h:
Good point.

Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Alfred5279

glad to hear you found and fixed the problem. I hate when people don't come back to post how things went. cheers.