Notices

!! For those with AEM Air Bypass Valve !!

Old 10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !! For those with AEM Air Bypass Valve !!

This might be a repost, but better to be safe than sorry:

Got this off their site.

Voluntary Safety Repair/Replacement for AEM Air Bypass Valve
Advanced Engine Management, Inc. (AEM) and NHTSA Announce Voluntary Repair of Air Bypass Valve

[Los Angeles, CA] [Washington, D.C.] -- In voluntary cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Advanced Engine Management, Inc. (AEM) of Hawthorne, California is voluntarily recalling about 3000 AEM Air Bypass Valves sold to consumers by independent distributors and retailers between August 2000 and January 31, 2001. Under certain circumstances, the Air Bypass Valve (constructed of 2 plastic pieces sonically welded together with a silicon diaphragm and foam spring on the inside) may come apart and, in certain cases, the diaphragm and/or foam spring may be ingested into the throttle body, sometimes forcing the throttle to stick in an open position. This may present a driving hazard to consumers who have installed the AEM Air Bypass Valve.

AEM has received three reports of the Air Bypass Valve coming apart. One of these reports described possible damage to the user's throttle body. Another of these reports described the diaphragm and/or foam spring being ingested into the throttle body, forcing the throttle to stick in an open position. The other of these reports described the valve coming apart with no resulting damage to the throttle body and no sticking of the throttle. No injuries have been reported.

The recalled Air Bypass Valves are identified by AEM part numbers 20-401, 20-402 or 20-403. The affected valves were sold to consumers only between August 2000 and January 31, 2001.

The subject valve is easily fixed, and AEM will provide all consumers of the AEM Air Bypass Valve with a free easy-to-install clip to prevent the diaphragm and/or foam spring from being ingested into the throttle body. However, consumers who have installed the subject Air Bypass Valves on their automobiles should not drive or operate their vehicles until either the Air Bypass Valve is immediately and entirely removed or the remedial clip is installed. The remedial action should take no longer than 5 minutes to complete.

The installation of the remedial clip is a simple procedure that will fully remedy the potential problem. While the remedial measure is not necessary for AEM Air Bypass Valves purchased after January 31, 2001, consumers with any concerns regarding these later-sold units may also obtain the free easy-to-install remedial clip.

Only those AEM Air Bypass Valves identified by AEM part numbers 20-401, 20-402 and 20-403 which were sold to consumers between August 2000 and January 31, 2001 are the subject of this recall. AEM Air Bypass Valves sold after January 31, 2001 are not affected, and consumers of AEM products bearing AEM part numbers other than 20-401, 20-402 and 20-403 need not be concerned.

AEM reminds its customers and consumers that the AEM Air Bypass Valve is designed and intended for use only with the AEM Cold Air Intake systems. Use of the AEM Air Bypass Valve in conjunction with any other system is neither recommended nor warranted and may result in, among other things, malfunction of the AEM Air Bypass Valve.

For further information, consumers should call AEM at
(310) 484-2322 x500
between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (PST)
Monday through Friday

Hope this will prevent any problems for those who use them.

~MaxBoost
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 10-16-2002, 12:58 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info man! I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm definitely going to check the part # before I do!

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Tirod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats one reason i bought injen
Old 10-16-2002, 01:13 PM
96extec

Thats why i got short ram
Old 10-16-2002, 01:31 PM
SeeCamGo
LIGHTS Army Soldier

Thats why I be fawked! :fawk:
Old 10-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Tirod

Originally posted by KajiPAX
Thats why I be fawked! :fawk:
hahahaha..
Old 10-16-2002, 01:45 PM
qtiger

That's a really old report, you would have had to have purchased your bypass between August 2000 and January 31, 2001
Old 10-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, OLD or not. Most people purchase their CAI from online or local shops... not direct from AEM... the difference? These shops or stores order in BULK, say 10-20 of each CAI, they won't likely sell them all right away, so if the store ordered the kits in Jan '01 and no one buys it until recent, then the recall would be effective in avoiding a problem. Makes sense. Also, don't know when they discovered it to be a problem, but at least they recognize it.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 10-16-2002, 03:37 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MaxBoosT
Well, OLD or not. Most people purchase their CAI from online or local shops... not direct from AEM... the difference? These shops or stores order in BULK, say 10-20 of each CAI, they won't likely sell them all right away, so if the store ordered the kits in Jan '01 and no one buys it until recent, then the recall would be effective in avoiding a problem. Makes sense. Also, don't know when they discovered it to be a problem, but at least they recognize it.
exactly!
Old 10-16-2002, 04:08 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Hello and welcome to a year ago.

They wanted me to send in my old defective one (it split in half too) on my bill, when I got the new one.

The old one is still sittin in my garage. Like hell i'm gonna spend $7 to ship them their peice of **** back.