Notices

B18B smoking.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
TotalVelocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B smoking.

I just recently Purchased a 95 Civic coupe with a B18B in it. It burns oil and the guy told me its the vlases. so he is giving me everything to fix it. Now when i do if its the Piston rings what should i do? Should i just do the rebuild or should i start looking into a GSR? I want to have performance in the near future but im not looking for anything over 250 i just want a fun car to drive. I will be changing the suspention to Type R for the 5 lug ( it already has LS suspention 4 lug). Should i build a B18B turbo? There are many choises and i was just wondering what you guys think is best?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

Originally Posted by TotalVelocity
I just recently Purchased a 95 Civic coupe with a B18B in it. It burns oil and the guy told me its the vlases. so he is giving me everything to fix it. Now when i do if its the Piston rings what should i do? Should i just do the rebuild or should i start looking into a GSR? I want to have performance in the near future but im not looking for anything over 250 i just want a fun car to drive. I will be changing the suspention to Type R for the 5 lug ( it already has LS suspention 4 lug). Should i build a B18B turbo? There are many choises and i was just wondering what you guys think is best?
250 bucks won't get you much of anything....

keep saving and just fix the motor you have
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
TotalVelocity

no no no i want that for Hp man. LOL 250 dollars wont get me ANYHTING hehe sorry for being so short with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 PM
TotalVelocity

so no one has any thoughts? Not even like an LS vtec or anything.... I hear you can get great numbers from them.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 AM
TotalVelocity

hmm no opinions
Old 10-05-2007, 06:26 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

the minute you pull the head you should know whats causing the oil burn off. How many miles are on this motor? If it was me and burning oil, I would do a complete rebuild if it has higher miles. Have the head torn down and gone through as well. If you really want to get some power goals there is no time better than now to start them with having to tear it down anyways.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

If it's smoking a lot than this might not help (due to cracked seals or whatever is causing the problem) but you could try a seal conditioner or similar product designed to keep the seals soft and pliable, even a seal sweller as a temporary thing. If the oil use and smoke stop after a few thousand miles than you know it's the seals and you can either continue using a conditioner or just replace them.

If adding that has no effect than chances you've either got cracked/broken valve seals, o-ring(s), or worn rings.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 AM
TotalVelocity

Well im gonna do a cylinder leak down test see if the pressure is coming out the intake or the dip stick tube. Hopefully intake. But should i go LS/Vtec?? Great gains and reliability has come a long way with those.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

ls vtec's are fun. i wouldnt bother with the type r stuff. if it has front and rear disk then just upgrade your pads rotors and brake lines and dont forget to flush out your brake lines for new, good stuff. is the motor smoking on decel, accel, sitting still what? just tearing a motor to pieces because it smokes a lil may not be the best option if you got to drive this thing to work and or school everyday.
post up your leak down and compression test. and go from there.

a turbo b18b would be plenty of fun. with a power goal of 250, id say go with super 60 t3 turbo. pretty sure there rated for 300 and it will spool very quick with a b18.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
TotalVelocity

The Brakes Have stainless steel lines and braided hoses. The motor smokes at idle a little bit. But on accel is when is really smokes. The guy who sold it to me is gave me the valve seals b/c thats what he thought it was but i will find out what it is when i test it. How come you say dont get the type r stuff? Isnt the Type r better then the LS conversion?