Notices

clutch or tranny

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
k20civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or tranny

going in 3rd and 4th gear im getting real bad grinding noises. starting off from a stop in first gear the front end shakes almost like its slipping? clutch right?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Could just be "clutch shudder/studder" etc. Fairly common, seems more so on cars with transverse-mounted engines like all Hondas have (except s2k).

Basically a combination of the motor mounts moving a little [edit: really the motor moves within the mounts] and the tires slipping and then gripping on and off. It seems that's usually the case anyway. It can even happen on new cars.

You can work around it in most cases with how you drive, don't know if breaking in the clutch one way versus another would make any difference.

It could also be something to do with the clutch material itself for all I know but unless it's definitely slipping, I wouldn't worry about it.

One way I've read to check the clutch for slip (and much easier on the car than other methods I've heard of) is to get going around 35 in 5th (could go a bit faster depending on the engine and 5/6speed) and with your foot off the clutch pedal, floor it.
If the revs shoot up before dropping back down than your clutch is slipping.
In other words, you're looking for the revs to climb but not in relation to the speed of the vehicle, if the revs go up but you aren't accelerating you either have a clutch on it's way out or, just maybe, it's just been glazed super duper bad (my civic's didn't slip when it was glazed though).

P.S. My car is old and the motor mounts aren't in great shape. That combined with the skinny tires (I think) means that if I take off at around 1500 or below like normal with just the right road conditions (usually semi-wet weather but not full-on rain, even hours after it's rained) I normally experience the "studder". I was worried at first but I find being gentler when applying the clutch or just getting the revs a bit higher prevents or reduces that annoyance.

Hope that helps, sorry it's so long

Last edited by A-series; 08-30-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 AM
k20civic

sweet thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Glad to help.

Sorry, forgot to mention that has nothing to do with grinding in 3rd/4th.

I'm sure you realized that, but wanna be clear.

Only thing I can think of to do for that is maybe change the fluid in the hopes it quiets down and learn to ignore it unless it gets unbearable in which case you could change the synchros/trans but I don't think it will come to that.