Notices

Radiator Flush

Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Flush

I'll try and keep this (relatively)short.

When I drain and refill my car's coolant this weekend, I was considering using a "Flush" or "Cleaner" product. Good or bad idea? Any opinions?

I'm talking about one of the little bottles you can buy to add in with the water after the old coolant is drained to clean out deposits, etc.
I would drain that mess and then flush (run up to temp and then drain) straight water or 50/50 mix through the system and then finish up with the 50/50 mix.

I've seen some white deposits inside my radiator and I'm under the impression the cooling system was neglected along with the rest of the car.

Anyone have some input or had any experience with this?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 AM
dieneverknowing

I've heard of a few people using the cleaners/flushes without any problems, although I can't recall any certain brand. But I'm sure as long you go with a decent manufacturer you should be okay
Old 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

most of the prestone stuff works fine. some of them have you remove the thermostat. this way the fluid should circulate as soon as the motor runs without waiting for it to come up to temp and open the thermostat. after you are done its not a bad idea to add the water pump lube with the new fluid. they sell that stuff in a lil bottle next to the flush stuff. just my experience.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:49 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was leaning towards the prestone stuff anyway so I think I'll go that route.

As far as the lube goes, I'd noticed in the store it but not given it much thought.

I suppose I might as well, it's a relatively new pump so might as well protect the previous owner's investment

Last edited by A-series; 08-16-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 PM
ricehnda94
Mcgyver

that water pump lubrication oil is really just a gimic. The anti-freeze in the system along with the water provide any necessary lubrication and cooling needed by the water pump. If you want to use the lube go for it, but it isn't really necessary.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by ricehnda94
that water pump lubrication oil is really just a gimic. The anti-freeze in the system along with the water provide any necessary lubrication and cooling needed by the water pump. If you want to use the lube go for it, but it isn't really necessary.
Well, I bought the supplies I'll need to do the flush at walmart tonight, I remembered to look for lube but didn't see any so I just got some prestone 50/50 mix and a bottle of their Flush product.

I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought until I saw your reply, but thanks for saving me some money b/c if I had seen it at the auto store sometime down the line I might have picked up some
Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

if you do do a radiator flush make sure you get all of the air bubbles out
Old 08-19-2007, 05:43 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by FLAT_LINER
if you do do a radiator flush make sure you get all of the air bubbles out
Yep, that's an important step.

You're supposed to fill it and then run it with the cap only closed to the 1st position until the fans run twice, then top off the radiator w/ coolant and finally open the bleed screw until no bubbles come out -that's according to my manual.

I just keep squeezing the top hose while it's running and the cap is off until no more bubbles come out - it takes a while and jabbing at the throttle a little seems to speed it up. After that I loosened the bleed screw but no bubbles, just had to add more fluid for what ran out(w/ cap off).
Old 08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Default Bleed Bolt

Now that I think of it, anyone else with a D16Z6 know if there is a bleed bolt on the engine?

My manual says it's located right beside the heat shield but I looked around, even removed the shield, and nothing.

Most of the fluid would drain from the draincock but not all, of course. I considered just removing my thermoswitch but I don't think you can reuse those o-rings.
Because of this and the horrific condition of the fluid (supper dark, looked at least 10yrs. old) I ended up flushing the rad. a good 10 times

I started it Saturday and finished Sunday morning before work :chuckles: