Notices

Need advice on fixing my eg :(

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM
eg6momo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on fixing my eg :(

I'm not all that familiar with major fixes when it comes to my 92 eg. I took my car to midas for a diagnostic and got the paper work back today. Of course, there's no way in hell I'm gonna have them do the work at all since their prices are ridiculous. Anywho, the problems are as follows:

1. Need new rotors and pads for the rear tires (can do myself)
2. Exhaust piping is split and holes in the muffler (can do myself)
3. Needs new cv shafts (is this the same as drive axle or half shaft??) for FL and FR (No idea how easy/hard this is)
4. Wheel bearing is loose (technicians comments said "Transmission bearing (im assuming this is the wheel bearing?) is about to fall out, car should not be driven" (No idea how easy/hard this is)

What'd I'd be wanting to know is what parts will I need, an estimated cost of these parts, and what tools I'll need to do so. I wanna try and keep this as inexpensive as possible since I don't have 1,500 bucks like midas wanted to do the repairs.

If anyone could help me out that'd be great, since I do love my eg to death. Thanks in advanced
Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
fathergoat
:3

cv, axle, half shaft, when most people say those words they all mean the same thing. It's not too difficult to do. Jarfo wrote a DIY https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=173647

The transmission bearing I'm not so sure what he's talking about. There aren't any tranny bearings that can really "fall out". The only ones you can see without opening the transmission are on the diff. You can only see those when you remove the axles and output seals. When you change the axles I would check the wheel bearings and diff bearings. Change the output shaft(axle) seals if you do check the diff bearings.

Does the transmission make any noise? Usually when a bearing goes bad it sounds like marbles or rocks are in there.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
eg6momo

Nah my tranny doesn't make any noise. I'm sure it was a miswritten thing on the report and he most likely meant wheel bearing.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
mini-me civic

you could pretty much do everything except the wheel bearings since it will need to be pressed it with a press.. other than that the axle job is gravy.. and im assuming your eg is an SI with rear calipers instead of drums. You will need a special tool to collapse the caliper to put in new pads. Those rear brake calipers are a screw in type. any auto shop should stock it but if u plan on doing more hands on repair got wit a name brand like snap on or matco, but they are very pricey but will make the job 10 times easier..
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
eg6momo

I got everything done, except the axles, they won't go in all the way :< Tried everything too
Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 AM
mini-me civic

the c clip is whats holding it back.. u gotta try keepin the axle level and go with a piece of wood and a hammer and pound the axle in.. jus keep tryin sooner or later it will go in..
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by mini-me civic
the c clip is whats holding it back.. u gotta try keepin the axle level and go with a piece of wood and a hammer and pound the axle in.. jus keep tryin sooner or later it will go in..
I did that, and screwed up the teeth on it . I took them back to autozone and they replaced them :hsugh:

It's just a series of turning and pushing in until it gets in. I had the same problem with them not going in. Keep it lubed up and keep trying.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

ya, cvs from parts stores you have to be careful being that there rebuilt by a bunch of beaners and the cv joint that gets rebuilt and reboxed could be from a completely different car. trust me on that, it happened to me yesterday when i tried to get this guy a cv for an accord
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
eg6momo

So its supposed to sit and fit flush in the tranny with no play room correct? I thought I had it in correctly, but there was alot of play room, and I had to pry the axle out instead of pulling it to get it out. The manual says once in correctly you won't be able to pull it out by hand, but the amount of play room made me think otherwise