Notices

blue coolant?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 PM
snosurfa7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue coolant?

My coolant has been just a hair shy of the "min" line for the past year, figured I'd top it off today. Opened the cap, but the coolant is a very very light blue?!?!!! huh? When I first bought the car last year, I had Honda do the whole timing belt thing, and had them do the radiator flush too.

I have heard that Europeans use a blue coolant?? But I dont know why that would be in my Honda...

Oil contamination? Thing is, every time I change my oil it is a nice light brown every 3K - pretty good for a car w/ almost 250K on it. Dont see any coolant in the oil. I do not have any visible leaks, the car has absolutely no problems with overheating, and the engine runs fine. Whats up, anybody know?

thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Honda uses coolant that is blue now. I have some in my garage. They also come in yellow and green.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:44 AM
m735is

Some Euros do use a blue coolant. I have several BMW's and their OEM stuff is blue. It's phosphate free coolant to help not get the corrosion in the aluminum parts of the cooling system. I use Zerex G-05 phosphate free in all of cars (gold/yellow color). Same principal, just half the cost.

As a side note: Every BMW I have had the regular green coolant in it when I got it (all of them are 15-20 years old when I get them), so with regular flush and fills this is fine also. Just don't ever switch to the Dexcool orange stuff!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM
snosurfa7

Thanks yall, that expains it...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
gettheledout

dexcool is the devil LOL sand