Notices

annoying clicking sound and very weird problems with power windows/sunroof

Old 04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying clicking sound and very weird problems with power windows/sunroof

so i managed to get my POS started, managed to pass smog, just when i think everything's all fine and dandy some other problem pops it's stupid head up.

this time when i start the car and start driving just a little bit something from near the underdash fuse box makes a loud and rapid clicking. sometime's it'll stop for a few seconds then start up again. sometimes it doesnt click at all.

the next problem is as i mentioned in one of my previous threads the ignition fuse in the underhood fusebox was blown so i took the 50a fuse from the option slot and put it in the ignition slot. that started it right up but at that point i had no power windows or sunroof, but the power side mirrors worked. so i bought a new 50a fuse to replace the one i canabalized for the sake of getting the car started.

here's the weird thing, if i have both fuses for the ignition and option in, the windows will work but i cant start the car and there's another slow clicking coming from the same general area as that other fast paced clicking. but if i take out the option fuse i can start the car but the windows wont work. wtf??

all these symptoms leads me to believe there's a bad relay for the power windows. i was searching on http://www.slhondaparts.com/ for the relay's, but they list four different relay assembly's for the power options, so which one do i need? if that's what i need.

i swear to god if this car gives me any more problems im gonna shoot it :crazyr:
Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Civic2Scooby

karma....

if they work when the starter relay is out than it can't be a power window relay. Are you sure you are lining up the proper places on the relay with the designated holes. I cant remember if the honda ones will only go one way, but I had a similar problem at work when the relay was installed improperly
Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

i havent even touched the relay's

i think you're misunderstanding me. they only work when starter and option fuses are in but at that point i get no start.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Snoopy
i havent even touched the relay's

i think you're misunderstanding me. they only work when starter and option fuses are in but at that point i get no start.
ohhhh fuses.

well here is the thing. If you can get them to work than it isnt the relay...if a relay goes bad than the bimetallic strips aren't working like they should and the relay is shot. If you can get them to work at all when the fuse is in, than you know the relay is still good. I would be searching for a hot to ground or cut wire that is causing something to ground out when you have both fuses in.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

looks like it's time for me to get on my back to get results

not in that way hfawk:
Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Civic2Scooby

looks like it's time for me to get on my back to get results

not in that way hfawk:
if I was out in Cali I would roll through with teh mad tyte digital volt ohm meter and lend ya a hand, but its hard to diagnose wiring problems via interweb
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

so what could the clicking be?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Civic2Scooby

so what could the clicking be?
relay turning on and off rapidly..
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

still need help. i was trying to find the source of the clicking and it's definitely coming from the underdash fuse panel. just not sure exactly where.

im gonna be going on a roadtrip this weekend so it would be nice to have working windows :hs: