Notices

Car pulls to the right only when accelerating

Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
mberndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan420
Listen to west coast its called torque steer. Also most roads slant to the right to allow rain to run down, this is the norm for freeways. Geezzz.
Yes, it's called torque steer, but it's not because of the roadway geometry...

Actually it is the norm for every road (even parking lots), because water cannot be allowed to collect and "pool" on the roadway. The road is constructed with a minimum grade here in PA, it is a minimum of 2% grade (2 feet rise over 100 foot length).
This however, is not intended nor is it responsible for pulling a car to the side of the roadway.
The FHWA and the state DOT's set the maximum grade depending on what is being constructed. A freeway will have a larger % grade, because with the faster moving cars, the water must be removed from the surface faster than on a local, township road, where it is not as important to remove the water from the road (which is less costly to construct than a steeper slope).

Bottom line is, the Engineering District of a county has minimums and maximums for these grades. You cannot construct a grade that WOULD cause a car to pull to the side, as what happens with torque steer. It is illegal...

Hope this helps

Last edited by mberndt; 09-22-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 PM
fstop128

everytime my sister has her tires rotated on her 90 corolla she gets a bad pull. she has owned it 2 yrs in aug. high miles. with 1 rotation the pull was caused by a bad driver's side axle. another time a bad pass. front wheel bearing. so u may want to check out those areas. she just had them rotated thurs and she has another pull. sams did the rotation so they would not know the cause of the pull.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
OblivionLord

As I stated before it does pull while coasting and acceleration. Braking is not the problem since it goes whereever the car is going.

Im seriously thinking it is the old wheels
Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 PM
civicburner

I think it is probably your tires also. Sometimes the tire looks ok on the outside, but internally the belts can be damaged. Most of the time it will cause a bad vibration, but who knows maybe it can also cause a pull.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by civicburner
I think it is probably your tires also. Sometimes the tire looks ok on the outside, but internally the belts can be damaged. Most of the time it will cause a bad vibration, but who knows maybe it can also cause a pull.
Which is why I said find someone with good wheels and tires and see if you can try them on your car for a couple miles.