Notices

A few questions

Old 07-16-2006, 11:42 AM
FSTSOHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions

A buddy of mine just bought a 94 civic coupe.. with an LS/VTEC Swap..

Mods we were told are as follows:

1999 Civic SI throttle body, skunk2 adjustable cam gears, b&m fuel press regulater, str dipstick, str oil cap, real carbon fiber spark plug wire cover, 2000 civic si transmission w/ Type R Gearing, ACT heavy duty clutch disc, ACT heavy duty pressure plate, 1998 Integra GSR shift linkage, Naxos short shift kit, AEM Cold air intake w/ Bypass Valve , DC sports 4-1 header, Tanabe racing super medallion catback exhaust, test pipe, Mugen chipped p28 ecu, polished aluminum motor mounts, 00' Type R Head, 00' Type R Valves, 00' Type R Valve Springs, 00' Type R Retainers, 00' Type R Cams, 00' Type R Intake Mani, 00' Type R Injectors And Fuel Rail, 00' Type R Red Valve Cover, 99' Integra LS Short Block, 00' Type R Pistons, 00' Type R Piston Rings, 00' Integra LS Bearings, 00' GS-R Oil Pump, ARP Rod Bolts, 00 LS' Head Gaskets (2 Layer), A/C Remove, P/S Remove...

Now we were told by someone else not to rev this car past 7200 RPMS if we dont want the engine to blow.. but we can rev it to 9500 no problem.. the only problem so far is some smoke at WOT towards higher RPM's.. now how can I check to make sure that they are in fact Type R components in the bottom end? compression test would show what numbers? what would the head be stamped by the exhaust? I want to make sure that this car is in fact what we were told...
Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 AM
FSTSOHC

Bump... I need to know compression.. cannot find it, I've searched... and I cannot find anything.. The head says PR3-3 so it is a Type R head.. now with this head and the Type R pistons in a B18B block, what would compression be?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Chem Geek
H22A powered EH2!

Normally the lower rev limit is for a stock LS block, as the rods are the weak point. But you have the ARP rod bolts, and from everything I've seen people spin them up towards 8500 with the upgraded rod bolts, I dunno about 9500, personally I don't think I'd try that without forged rods, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary....

Stock headgasket, and the stuff you listed should be around 10.8:1.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

you need to get rid of that "mugen" ecu and get something programmable to tune with. i bet that would get rid of the smoking problem. revving to 9500 does you no good since your cams dont make power that high and its adding unneccesary stress to the engine. if the pistons are from an itr, they will be stamped p73-AO if usdm and p73-OO if jdm and pct if ctr's. go to www.zealautowerks.com to figure the compression.