Notices

Oil pan sealer

Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 AM
m735is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan sealer

After searching through the archives and f'in up my new oil pan gasket-

Do I seal the block side, the pan side, both or neither?

I flipped the motor to make new gasket install easier, but didn't drain ALL of the oil out of the pan and it leaked out the side before I could tighten the bolts, so I'm replacing it while the engine is still on the stand. Stupid mistake!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

I sealed mine like you do for the valve cover gasket. Where it dips below the crank on the corners and around the crank I applied some RTV sealent. I think I did both sides in that area. Use a degreaser to remove the oil you spilled first. A week or so later you can tighten the bolts some more if you see leaks. Mine is not leaking now. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 AM
m735is

Thanks for the reply, I replaced the gasket last night, sealing it exactly where you said, which was in fact the way the factory did it. I just looked on another pan I had with the original gasket attached and applied RTV where they did.

Another question: Since this gasket is rubber and I will have to do this again on another motor, can I reuse the one I took off after I clean it? It was brand new before I installed it and didn't even add oil to the motor.