Notices

impact wrench and ft/lb needed on suspension

Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 PM
ezekel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impact wrench and ft/lb needed on suspension

well after a minor discussion about shocks and springs, im going to be buying more tools..more of an impact wrench, breaker bar, my own spring compressors and maybe some other stuff

reading around harbor freight or sears or home depot has some impact wrenchs, and a store is nearby. would i need 1/2" and is 250lb/ft enough to get some siezed bolts off ?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Wharbone

Save your money on the spring compressor. You can rent those for free from autozone.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

i didnt need any of those, just some good ol' strength and everything came off fine. i did however use this cheap little impact wrench i bought at harbor freights for like $30 but i only used it to remove/reinsert the bolts faster after they were loosened/placed by hand
Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 AM
ezekel

Originally Posted by Wharbone
Save your money on the spring compressor. You can rent those for free from autozone.

the one at autozone was crap. i didnt understand how to use it. it was a long threaded rod with 2 hooks coming off the end of it..to my understanding it usually comes in pairs.

did i need to say spring compressor for McPherson strut or is a spring compressor a spring compressor

well the hard thing about using good ol' strength is after 7 years of snow rain and sun the bolts kinda get stuck on there
Old 05-10-2006, 09:39 AM
egghead
TF Plasti-crack Crew

They gave you the wrong one. That one goes inside the spring; which obviously wouldn't work for you. You did need the one that's in two pieces. Saying spring compressor for McPherson strut should've done it.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
loonz123

fyi, just watchout honda's are notorious for bolts freezing on the rear lower control arm. plus dont forget the sleeve's and propper washer used on each strut/shock.
just did mine and ran into these problems.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the harbor freight electric impact gun for dirt cheap (well free, really since it was a gift card, but like $30 or something rediculous like that at the christmas sale). It has saved my ass several times already and I've only had it for 6 months... I wish I bought one of these 5 years ago!

I wouldn't go wild on an overly powerful air impact, but a cheapy electric one will make most suspension jobs go a lot faster. As for a breaker bar, just use a piece of pipe or whatever you have laying around. No sense in buying anything.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
ezekel

ya i have a pair of koni yellows and i got new hardware kits for all 4 so that shouldnt be a problem.

what would be a good lb/ft to use for LCA bolts and such?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by ezekel
reading around harbor freight or sears or home depot has some impact wrenchs, and a store is nearby. would i need 1/2" and is 250lb/ft enough to get some siezed bolts off ?
When I first started out with air tools, a 260lb/ft cheapie "made in china" impact gun took out everything I needed to on a Honda car with shop air. Home air compressors may not be strong enough to fully power it, though.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 AM
ezekel

ya i dont plan on getting air tools, i wont be doing enough work on my car to do need it. although a nice electric one i saw at home depot for about 99 seemed to be my choice thus far