Notices

what parts to cover when degreasing engine 96 civic lx

Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 PM
asilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what parts to cover when degreasing engine 96 civic lx

I just bought a 96 civic lx and the motor is filthy, especially the battery. the car was alittle over a quart low on oil when I bought it and I put a piece of cardboard underneath it that nite and it wasnt dripping oil while sitting still but it bothered me that it was low. Anyway, i would like to clean the engine which I have never done before. I have got Gunk Engine Brite, some wire drying stuff, and some belt care stuff. the car has 176,000 miles on it so I am not going to pressure clean it. I just am not sure what to cover up. One web site recommended using foil but another said not to because of electrical arcing which made sense to me. Anyone out there able to describe exactly what i need to cover up besides the distributor cap. I plan to cover any wires I see but then there are alot of wires underneath there. Also, how do you clean under the car, do you need to worry about covering anything underneath. Any advice, feedback, direction, etc will be much appreciated. Also, I am planning on using Mequires exterior trim protectant afterwards. Because the battery is so dirty I was going to take it out and clean it with baking soda, wire clean the terminal and put those little red felt circles on it along with some red spray stuff I had gotten awhile back. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated too. Thanks. Asilo
Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

The only thing I've ever covered was my cone filter. I'm just careful to not directly spray the distributor or alternator with my pressure washer. But cover the distributor, Fuse box, Alternator, Some of the cannon plugs by the shock tower and uh, anything else that you might fear getting wet. It's all fair game.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
cobbcustomz

only thing i have ever directly covered was my air intake filter. Just use common sense and dont spray directly onto electrical components for a long period of time
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
hoyoung02
HEAT:Shift_TechkaV

cover up exposed air filter as stated above, example of SRI CAI cone filters.

your alternator

Fuse box.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
alanMI88

I have the same car, a 96 lx and I have cleaned the engine bay three times. I covered the fuse box with a plastic bag, and since I have stock air intake, I put a plastic bag over the intake hose and rubberbanded it on. Then just cover the distributor cap. After ur done, take off the plastic and let the engine run for 2-3 min to quicken drying time.

thats what ive done