Notices

Strange problem - alternator battery related

Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange problem - alternator battery related

So about three weeks ago my wife was driving my car (95 civic dx), and she pulled into the parking spot and right before she took the key out of the ignition the car died, and she couldn't restart it.

So I came home from work, and tried starting the car, but it wouldn't start, the batter was dead. So I figured it that the alternator must be dead and the car must've been running of the battery and drained it (btw the battery is bran new, maybe 2 month old). So, I didn't have time to do anything with the car for two days, just let it sit in parking spot. Two days later I came out, pulled my other car next to it, and was gonna try to start it with jumper cables. But before I even connected jumper cables, I decided to try starting it again. I turned the key in the ignition, and it cranked weakly, but to my surprise it started, on the first crank! So I'm like wtf - I let it run for a few minutes, shut it of, restarted, it started fine, the battery was recharged, the lights working. Ever since it's been running normally, battery is charged, starts fine, battery light doesnt go on.

So on Saturday I took it to the shop for an oil change, and I had the technicians test the battery and alternator, and both passed the test. I described to them what happened, and they couldn't tell me what might have happened.

To make matters worse, in the two days that the car was dead, I was so sure that it was the alternator, that I went ahead and ordered a 135amp alternator of ebay. So now I face a dillema - do I replace the alternator anyway? I also need to upgrade the cables from alternator to battery, because stock wires aren't suitable for 135amp.

On the other hand, I could probably return the alternator, but I'm afraid if I do, the old one is gonna go soon - after all it has 145k miles on it.

So what do you guys think might have caused it? I remember on my old GS300 I had a dying alternator, but at least the car showed the symptoms. It would die, then I could jump start it, but after a while the battery light would go on and it would die again. But in this case - nothing, been driving for three weeks and not a single symptom.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. I would of guessed alternator too, but they don't usually stop working, and then start charging again. I wonder if its the main relay? Do a search for main relay, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

I'd check for loose connections. Also check and replace the negative battery cable with a new one. Check for loose grounds and clean all connections. Use some steel whole to clean the connections and some dielectric gel on the connections which helps keep dirt out.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Did you do a voltage test across the bat terminals at idle, 2-3k RPM, and with all accessories on?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Did you do a voltage test across the bat terminals at idle, 2-3k RPM, and with all accessories on?
yep, the technicians tested it yesterday, passed the test.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I would have guessed bad connections somewhere. Maybe a bad ground wire too?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM
honura
Seni

Originally Posted by dpkelly
I'd check for loose connections. Also check and replace the negative battery cable with a new one. Check for loose grounds and clean all connections. Use some steel whole to clean the connections and some dielectric gel on the connections which helps keep dirt out.

yeah I was gonna say that! I would check all the grounds and clean them up. I had a hatch that there was a wire tight but loose some how and it would charge at times then out of no where start charging again. Check loose connections.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Ochdx
yep, the technicians tested it yesterday, passed the test.
Gotta be voltage leaking off the battery somehow then. That's gonna be a bitch to find
Old 03-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Ochdx

Yep, I'm pretty much sure it wasnt the alternator now, but I have no clue what else might have caused it. I inspected the connections, they seem fine.

What I am going to do now, is replace the cables from alternator to the battery with new, heavier gauge wires.

Now, about the alternator, I already have the new higher juice alternator, so I'm just thinking whether to install it or return in. I mean, the original alternator is bound to go sooner or later, it already has 145k miles on it, and typically these things do not even last that long. I don't plan on getting rid of the car any time soon, so might as well replace it.

My question is, what kind of benefits am I going to see with higher juice alternator? So far, with the original one my lights are getting dimmer when I run other accessories, such as AC, rear defrost etc. I would assume with new alternator that shouldn't happen.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
jap617

yea i have the same problem only mines never did come on again, it wouldnt even give me weak cranks. I tested myy battery at a auto parts store and they said the battery was perfect. About the grounds and connection, what connections and grounds should i check?