Notices

Cruise control for `94 Civic CX?!

Old 02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
4bfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control for `94 Civic CX?!

I'm the proud owner of a `95 Civic CX, (about 6 months now) had the engine overhauled as it was burning about a quart a week, now it runs fine.

I have no problem driving it for extended periods of time, but my wife is driving me nuts, because she wants cruise installed on it! I've looked about everywhere and have yet to find a decent aftermarket cruise control "kit". Is there such? Or can I assemble the various parts from another Civic to achieve the desired results?

Thanks for your help.....
Old 02-27-2006, 08:03 AM
bnuk

Im in the exact same position (93 DX 5spd.) I'm am just getting together all the honda OEM parts.

The list of parts I am getting are this:
CC actuator (under hood)
CC unit (computer under dash)
steering wheel buttons
brake/gas pedal assembly from a cruise controled civic.

The real thing that will make or break this project is how much of the wiring is alrready installed. If honda wired all the cars the same and just didn't put the components in, this will be a cinche. If none of the wiring is there this will be a real bitch to install.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 AM
bnuk

update:

ok after comparing part numbers for an LX and DX it appears we will also need the steering wheel or the slip ring from the steering wheel. But all of the wiring harnesses appear to be the same, so that is good,
Old 02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
onesweetcivic

i will have the factory service manual soon il seen u a copy fo the wire diagrams if this will be helpful
Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
4bfox

Default Cruise control

Thanks for your input....this is most helpful. I've go the shop manual on CD, am going to look it over when I get a minute. Good idea about comparing part #s....that SHOULD insure compatibility.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 AM
bnuk

yeah, although I was looking around yesterday and there was no plug for the actuator. So i have a feeling there will be no plug for the brain either, but Im not really sure where that is located, so I don't know where to look. But I am almost certain the the steering column is wired for cruise.

One more thing I figured out, if your CX is a 5spd you will need the clutch switch, but you will be able to get it off almost any civic or integra (its just a m10 bolt with a button in the middle of it. I am heading to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up eveything else I need.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all the cruise controll stuff from a 91. let me know if youre interested in anything and I probably have it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
bnuk

Originally Posted by onesweetcivic
i will have the factory service manual soon il seen u a copy fo the wire diagrams if this will be helpful
I have the haynes, which has the schematic. but if you have more info than that it would be useful. Like what the different input values are, like whether the clutch switch input is looking for a ground or 12V.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
bnuk

Ok went to the JY today and here is everything I have now. I am pretty sure this is everything i need.

1. Cruise control brain, located underneath dash left side.

2. main power switch (optional)

3 Actuator

4 "cable reel" slip ring inside steering wheel, or just get the whole wheel.

5 cruise control buttons from steering wheel, or just get the whole wheel.

6. clutch switch. can probably get from almost any 5spd honda w/ cruise. (don't need for an auto, duh.)

7. pedals from a cruise controled civic. pain in ass to get out...

8. foot.

I ended up paying like $110 for everything (hoping to get like 15-20 for the old pedals on ebay...) so I realize in the end it might not be worth the cost. But it will be a good project and I'm sure I will learn a lot.
As soon as the weather clears I'm gonna attempt to get all this shit in there. There isn't any DIY out there for the 93-95 civic so I will probablly throw one together. (If it actually works.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1422.JPG (83.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
bnuk

update:

I installed the pedals saturday. took me 6 freakin hours.

Clutch switch from accord won't work , so its probably gotta be a civic/integra/crv. you also need the brake switch, the cruise control switch has 4 outputs. (puts out 12V on one wire when brake is pressed, 12V on another when it isn't.

yeah this really turned out to be a hell of a project. I don't mind cause I'm bored and like a good project, but I wouldn't recomend doing this just to get cruise if you aren't up for a real challenge.

DIY will be coming in like a week.