Notices

92 Headgasket parts

Old 01-14-2006, 08:35 AM
DCivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Headgasket parts

Hi All,

My 1992 Civic EX (154K miles) w/ D16Z6 needs a headgasket (white smoke from exhaust and coolant in radiator is "bubbling"/coolant loss).

Is the "FelPro" kit from Autozone for $96.99 good enough for a stock daily driver?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...%7ENONE%7C%7EW

Or should I get the NAPA item #NGAHS5923W for $144.99?

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...ead+Gasket+Set

I just want to be sure I have everything together before I start.

Thanks a lot!!!

ps any tips for this project?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Id go NAPA, just cause you get the Head Gasket, the Valve cover gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, and some other stuff too.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
m735is

Shop around: I got the head, valve cover, intake and exhaust gaskets only from Autohaus AZ, I didn't need anything else.

Except the manifold to pipe donut but that was from Autozone.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 AM
DCivic

Thanks guys, I will look around.

How long should this job take?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by DCivic
Thanks guys, I will look around.

How long should this job take?
that is gonna vary from person to person...what kind of tools you working with, is anybody helping you, have you done headgaskets before, whats your skill level, are ya gonna be doing this balls out or drinkin a few beers with some buddies while you do it.....I think you get where I am going with this...if you want it to take an hour you can get it done...but realistaclly...couple few.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
DCivic

Cool.....2 hours you say? I have a buddy who has this "awesome set of tools" (spicoli) Seriously, he has worked on cars for 20+ years and is going to be "supervising" the project

I just hope that it is "just" the headgasket and not a cracked/warped head!

OK, for a parts list I have for gaskets (head, valvecover, intake, exhaust) and the "donut" for the downpipe. Did I miss anything?

Also, I have the Haynes manual, but is there a "better" way to do this job? ie tips/tricks/things to watch out for?

Thanks a lot again!

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
that is gonna vary from person to person...what kind of tools you working with, is anybody helping you, have you done headgaskets before, whats your skill level, are ya gonna be doing this balls out or drinkin a few beers with some buddies while you do it.....I think you get where I am going with this...if you want it to take an hour you can get it done...but realistaclly...couple few.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by DCivic
Cool.....2 hours you say? I have a buddy who has this "awesome set of tools" (spicoli) Seriously, he has worked on cars for 20+ years and is going to be "supervising" the project

I just hope that it is "just" the headgasket and not a cracked/warped head!

OK, for a parts list I have for gaskets (head, valvecover, intake, exhaust) and the "donut" for the downpipe. Did I miss anything?

Also, I have the Haynes manual, but is there a "better" way to do this job? ie tips/tricks/things to watch out for?

Thanks a lot again!
do you have a true straight edge and feeler gauges to check for warp in the head, or will you have to have a shop do it...that will also constitute down time. Honda head removal/installation is about as easy of a job as you can get as long as you dont run into like broke bolts on the exhaust mani etc etc.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
DCivic

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
do you have a true straight edge and feeler gauges to check for warp in the head, or will you have to have a shop do it...that will also constitute down time. Honda head removal/installation is about as easy of a job as you can get as long as you dont run into like broke bolts on the exhaust mani etc etc.

Hmmm, I have the feeler gauges (valve adjustment), I will look into the true straight edge. Hope there are no surprises (broken bolts, etc.)

I appreciate your help :thumbs:
Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 AM
m735is

Have the timing belt, tensioner and water pump been changed recently? I also did: plugs, belts, t-stat, oil, filter, t-belt and water pump because I was in there. I left the tensioner on there. You'll also need coolant. Not sure about your motor but I didn't need the whole valve cover set or timing cover gaskets because they were changed recently.

2 hours for the first time? It took me 45 minutes just to clean up the surfaces of the head and block-the last gasket used was really bonded to the surfaces. I took my time and spread it out over two days.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 PM
DCivic

Originally Posted by m735is
Have the timing belt, tensioner and water pump been changed recently? I also did: plugs, belts, t-stat, oil, filter, t-belt and water pump because I was in there. I left the tensioner on there. You'll also need coolant. Not sure about your motor but I didn't need the whole valve cover set or timing cover gaskets because they were changed recently.

2 hours for the first time? It took me 45 minutes just to clean up the surfaces of the head and block-the last gasket used was really bonded to the surfaces. I took my time and spread it out over two days.

Yes, the timing belt, tensioner and water pump were replaced 18 months ago. I will also change out the plugs, oil & filter and flush the coolant while I am "in there".

I really appreciate the input !!!