Notices

planing on installing a turbocharger

Old 12-04-2005, 04:46 PM
thakid22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planing on installing a turbocharger

can any one tell me what i will need to do to install a small turbocarger in a 1994 honda civic. it is a stock turbocharger i think it is out of a audi A4 or a Volvo S40 i am about to get it rebilt. and i want to know what i will need to install it meaning parts wise and what i will need to do to the engine & transmission
Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 PM
h22_driver
killer_civic

tranny probably nothing...but u should find a turbo kit that would match the turbo ur looking on installing...e.g. wastegates, manifolds, etc. thats like an expensive job if u dont know wat ur doin'.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

oh god. based on your post, u probably have no idea what your doing.your gonna need a manifold, intercooler, injectors, fuel management, oil lines, gauges, bov, external wastegate unless the turbo is internally gated, a stronger clutch preferably, and a long list of lil stuff here and there.
theres alot more to turboing a car then slapping onb a turbo and ur off.
pre-fabbed kits are gay. there way over priced and 9 times out of ten your limited to what u can do with them.
go to homemadeturbo.com. that site is geared to solely turboing a car. lots of good info, so u better read oll of it twice. i researched for 4 months befoe i felt i was ready to turbo my car. ive been turbod for several months now and am buildign a motor from the ground up and im learning shit still on a daily basis
Old 12-04-2005, 06:40 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by raiden571
oh god. based on your post, u probably have no idea what your doing.your gonna need a manifold, intercooler, injectors, fuel management, oil lines, gauges, bov, external wastegate unless the turbo is internally gated, a stronger clutch preferably, and a long list of lil stuff here and there.
theres alot more to turboing a car then slapping onb a turbo and ur off.
pre-fabbed kits are gay. there way over priced and 9 times out of ten your limited to what u can do with them.
go to homemadeturbo.com. that site is geared to solely turboing a car. lots of good info, so u better read oll of it twice. i researched for 4 months befoe i felt i was ready to turbo my car. ive been turbod for several months now and am buildign a motor from the ground up and im learning shit still on a daily basis
lol im glad you typed all that so i dont have to now
You need to research turboing man, im not telling you that because im trying to be an ass but because when you do go boost, you need to KNOW whats happening in order to recognize potential problems. Your going to need a new clutch for sure, im boosting 10psi and my stocker clutch slips worthlessly lol
Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

not too hard. but definetly do alot of reading. what motor is in it? the d15b7 or the d16z6? either way...heres what you will need to do.

find the gasket for the turbo exhaust inlet. send it to weirracing on homemadeturbo.com. he will make you an adapter plate for around $55 shipped. then you can mount the turbo to an hf manifold which is an oem honda manifold that alot of people use as turbo manifolds.

buy the honda/acura oil line kit from stealthmodeperformance.com for $85

buy charge pipes and couplers and t-bolt clamps @ steathmodeperformance.com $200

intercooler from johnnyracecar.com $155-185

dsm injectors 390 or 450 cc depending on how much power you want. no more than $50

go to moates.net and buy an uber kit, and a datalogging kit $50 then you can download uberdata or crome for free and tune your car if you have a laptop, and access to a chip burner. if you dont have achip burner you will have to buy one for 85$ at moates.net.

if you have the b7 intake manifold, i would highly recommend upgrading to a d16z6 or d16y8 manifold, it will help you out alot.

you will definetly need a new clutch. search for "proclutch" on ebay.com under sellers name. he has good clutches. stage 1 for 105 shipped and stage 3 for like 160 shipped. stage 1 is good for 200whp. stage 3 is good for 270whp.

if the turbo you have doesnt come with a wastegate actuator, you are going to need one. its easier to use an internal wastegate with the hf manifold...find one with the proper psi spring you want, and bolt it to the block...if it doesnt reach the wastegate...extend it with a piece of coat hanger.

its also a good idea to get a 1st generation dsm blow off valve. you can get them for about $40 shipped. and the mounting plate you need to have welded on to the charge pipes is between 10-20$.

then you will need a downpipe off the turbo. you can also get this flange from weirracing on HMT.com. then weld a custom exhaust of 2.5-3" all the way back. or if you dont care about exhaust tickets....just find the stock o2 housing, and run an open down pipe. but its pretty loud and you WILL get pulled over.

its a good idea to get NGK spark plugs one step colder...the part number should be on the underside of the hood on your car.

also good to have a catchcan for crankcase ventilation, or just block it off with a bolt and hose clamp.

get yourself a boost gauge, and an oil pressure gauge.

its not an easy thing to do if yo uwant to do a decent job that will be fairly reliable. its going to take time and money and research. if you want to do a cheap setup you could make it work for like $500 if you have access to a welder and a muffler shops scrap metal. but be prepared. its alot of work.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Didn't someone I think Eric make a HUGE LONG ASS post about the basics of turbo charging a while ago? Or was that VTEC.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

it was turboing and engine basics. ill try and find it...https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=206354