Notices

Understeer?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5speedonly
What I meant is, in the same genre(compact cars) or "econobox" as you put it, the Civic scores low when it comes to negotiating turns, even at a moderate speed; the car tends to swing a little.

I have no problem putting my stock 98 hatch through corners @ speed, even extremely sharp ones. I'll be posting vids as soon as i take care of my clutch. I'm going to make a b4 and after vid, stock to full suspension upgrade, to see the difference in handling characteristics. Its all in how you drive the car, if u dont know how to handle the car its not going to respond the way you want it to. I know your suspension is stock but, have you upgraded your wheels by any chance? if they are too big they might cause the problem ur having. Has this been happening since you got the car or is this a recent occurance?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:47 AM
5speedonly

Originally Posted by Ctrld-Kaos
I have no problem putting my stock 98 hatch through corners @ speed, even extremely sharp ones. I'll be posting vids as soon as i take care of my clutch. I'm going to make a b4 and after vid, stock to full suspension upgrade, to see the difference in handling characteristics. Its all in how you drive the car, if u dont know how to handle the car its not going to respond the way you want it to. I know your suspension is stock but, have you upgraded your wheels by any chance? if they are too big they might cause the problem ur having. Has this been happening since you got the car or is this a recent occurance?
No, It's simply the feedback that I get from the Civic compared to other brands. I had a Supra before (an old one) and I guess I got used to the way it handles the road. I know they're not in the same category but even in the same price range, the Civic did not do well. When I did some researche I found out that it's the weakest point in Civics.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Originally Posted by 5speedonly
No, It's simply the feedback that I get from the Civic compared to other brands. I had a Supra before (an old one) and I guess I got used to the way it handles the road. I know they're not in the same category but even in the same price range, the Civic did not do well. When I did some researche I found out that it's the weakest point in Civics.

yeah, your gonna notice a biggg difference between your supra and a civic... its gonna be like night and day.. mainly due to the fact the supra is FR and the civic is FF.... rear wheel drive cars tend to handle better than front wheel drive cars...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Because understeer for the general population is safer to drive than oversteer. Supra is a sports car. Civic is not.

Wanna see why you don't want a tail happy car? Watch my video (Right Click and Save As):
http://www.mikelouietkd.com/DCTour2004.wmv (94mb)
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Highway could mean 45-55mph. Which would mean he could be going 15-25mph over the limit. Which is why there are speed limits for some corners.

Well yeah it's a Civic - econobox. Which is why I recommend the autocross schools because it will teach you how to corner and take better lines
Actually I was on the freeway and the surface is concrete if that makes the difference... to be more specific... it's the 110 Pasedena freeway and it's not your average california freeway it's pretty twisty some corners have speed limits of 40mph, 50mph.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

ehh the 110 is teh sux, i know that road pretty well and im not supprised that u had understeer going 70 if u were hitting some of those hard corners..
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

I'm with CivicSiRacer... learning how to drive is way more valuable. Modifications to your car do not compensate for your driving skill. Not to knock you, but a superior driver could probably use your car as-is and get through that turn faster because of technique.

At this point, if you don't know how to balance weight transfer, mods are just going to move the problem someplace else.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by chimchim
I'm with CivicSiRacer... learning how to drive is way more valuable. Modifications to your car do not compensate for your driving skill. Not to knock you, but a superior driver could probably use your car as-is and get through that turn faster because of technique.

At this point, if you don't know how to balance weight transfer, mods are just going to move the problem someplace else.
Right. I know guys in stock cars who can hand me my ass against my own car. The talent pool in autocrossing is amazing and humbling
Old 11-16-2005, 05:39 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Because understeer for the general population is safer to drive than oversteer. Supra is a sports car. Civic is not.

Wanna see why you don't want a tail happy car? Watch my video (Right Click and Save As):
http://www.mikelouietkd.com/DCTour2004.wmv (94mb)

Not too bad, SI, not too bad. Nice driving, besides that first run, haha... I like how well you took that slalom setup in the middle.