Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Understeer? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/213342-understeer.html)

InfiniteVTec 11-14-2005 06:25 PM

Understeer?

Hmm recently on a on turn at 70mph on the highway my car felt like it wasn't wanting to turn right, it left like my car was being pulled left even while the wheels were facing the direction i was trying to turn. Is that understeer or just my imagination? I'm using Toyo Proxy's on a stock suspension.

If that's understeer, then what suspension upgrades would be best to reduce this occurrence? :confused:

Provocateur 11-14-2005 09:02 PM

It is understeer. Probably not a good idea to be taking turns at 70 mph on stock suspension. ;)

To reduce understeer, a stiffer set of springs should be run along with a thicker swaybar.

Outxider 11-14-2005 09:26 PM

stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer. :D works for me. but yeah just go with a stiffer suspension setup and rear sway bar for the win. i personally dont have a rear sway yet the car feels very neutral.

Provocateur 11-14-2005 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Outxider
stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer. :D works for me. but yeah just go with a stiffer suspension setup and rear sway bar for the win. i personally dont have a rear sway yet the car feels very neutral.

I have the Comptech combo on mine and the difference is night and day. It makes up for the not-so-stiff springs I have on. Personally, I think the rear sway bar is the best suspension mod I have done thus far.

Mr_Goodbar 11-15-2005 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Outxider
stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer.

YES. I've got the Tein Flex, Korbach Framelocks, ASR rear subframe brace w/26mm ITR bar, and it's like night and day ON STOCK F***ING TIRES. I cant wait to see how its gonna handle with some 7 inch wide wheels and tires. MMMMMMMMMMMM.

InfiniteVTec 11-15-2005 01:26 AM

How about Shocks and Struts? If I was to get adjustable ones, how should I adjust them to make my car's handling neutral?

I'll give the Korbach Framelocks a try. I've never seen nor heard of them til you guys mentioned them.

CivicSiRacer 11-15-2005 06:40 AM

Actually to reduce understeer just drive slower - duh! If you upgrade the suspension and try to drive that section again you will probably kill yourself because the car will oversteer you off a cliff.

I recommend something even cheaper than a suspension upgrade. Go take an autocross school or Evolution School (http://www.autocross.com/evolution) - they will teach you how to drive your car.

5speedonly 11-15-2005 08:07 AM

"Actually to reduce understeer just drive slower - duh! If you upgrade the suspension and try to drive that section again you will probably kill yourself because the car will oversteer you off a cliff"

He said he was doing 70 mph on the FREEWAY!!! He should be able to negotiate any turn easily at that speed. I have managed to take the entire course of most freeways(south. CA) at speed exceeding the hundred mark, including sharp turns/curves. Sometimes I like to test the capabilities of the car. I have noticed, however, that the Civic (mine EX) are not particuliary good in negotiating turns.

CivicSiRacer 11-15-2005 08:42 AM

Highway could mean 45-55mph. Which would mean he could be going 15-25mph over the limit. Which is why there are speed limits for some corners.

I have noticed, however, that the Civic (mine EX) are not particuliary good in negotiating turns.
Well yeah it's a Civic - econobox. Which is why I recommend the autocross schools because it will teach you how to corner and take better lines

5speedonly 11-15-2005 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Highway could mean 45-55mph. Which would mean he could be going 15-25mph over the limit. Which is why there are speed limits for some corners.

Well yeah it's a Civic - econobox. Which is why I recommend the autocross schools because it will teach you how to corner and take better lines

What I meant is, in the same genre(compact cars) or "econobox" as you put it, the Civic scores low when it comes to negotiating turns, even at a moderate speed; the car tends to swing a little.