Notices

Keyless Entry not working, Dome Light Blinking...

Old 10-21-2005, 05:51 AM
quabbdude
'97 Civic EX Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help? Keyless Entry not working, Dome Light Blinking...

New guy here. I have a 1997 Civic EX Coupe with Factory Keyless Entry. Only aftermarket add on in the car is the Alpine M-Bus CD-Changer (I couldn't bring myself to pay $800 bucks for the Honda branded one). This is my highway traveling car. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Anyway...

This morning, when I went out to my garage to start her up and go get a paper, the doors were locked. I didn't lock them last night when I came in (it is my my garage afterall). I looked inside the car and the dome light was blinking furiously, and my keyless entry remote was not working. I could only get the light to stop blinking if I turned the ignition to 'II'. I then also had to reprogram the remote (a process i learned whenI bought new ones about 10 months ago since the other ones had worn out).

I don't want to take it to the dealer (troubleshooting calls to a dealer in Chicago are quite expensive). Anyone have any thoughts?

Other information:
- No fuses appear to be blown.
- The keyless entry remotes have lost their signlas twice before, all in the last 10 weeks or so.
- I came out to the car one afternoon about a month ago, and the locks were cycling. I didn't notice that the dome light was blinking, but I did have to reprogram the keyless entry remotes.

Any information anyone has would be great. I have been searching on Google for 2 hours now and have found nothing of consequence...
Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 PM
quabbdude
'97 Civic EX Coupe

I talked with the dealer a few minutes ago and they recommended the door pins may not be working. I'll have to see if there is a way to test them...

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
sibiryk

It's weird but my car was doing the same thing about month ago. It happened in a rainy day. Dome light was blinking so I opened a driver’s door to check on a light. As soon as I closed door it locked by it self. It was getting locked repeatedly every time I was closing the door. After 5-10 min this weird thing stopped and never happened again. My car doesn't have any keyless remote installed so I would advise to look for something other than that.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 AM
steveho

I have been having the same problem for 2 years now with our 97 civic. Each time, I have to reprogram the 2 remotes we have.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? I'm thinking that for some reason, the radio is forgetting the remote codes and "alerting" us to that fact.

Steve
Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the door open switches are little buttons in the door frame(black)thy are held on by one bolt that is held on by one screw the screw is the ground and thy have one wire going to them.i have seen them go bad all the time(separate internally)that would cause a problem with the door lock because the door lock multiplex thinks a door is open the locks wont lock it a door is open.try taking them apart you will see where thy will separate.i have also seen the keyless unit go bad its udder the dash driver side panel under the steering wheel.o to test the buttons check ohms between the ground and the power push the Button the ohms should change from alot to none

Last edited by Fuse; 10-21-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM
BruceK

I have been living with the problem described in quabbdude's original post for about 4 years now with my 96 Civic EX Coupe. I have factory "everything" in this car -- no aftermarket work (it has a Honda radio with cassette).

Every now and then, perhaps 1-3 times a month, I find my car in the morning has locked its doors in my garage, armed the security system and disabled the keyless entry remotes.

Each time I am forced to
1) unlock the door with the key
2) open the door, setting off the alarm (I guess I should just disable the alarm)
3) rush to get the key in and the "Valet" button pushed as the alarm blares
4) reprogram the car to accept the both remotes I own.

I took it in twice to a dealership. They were stumped. The first time they replaced some kind of door activation gizmo or switch. The second time they replaced the keyless entry computer. Both fixes failed.

Someone on a different blog claimed the problem was the Honda factory radio and that replacing it would solve the problem. He said this with a lot of confidence which made me think he had done this, but by now I think I've read about at least a few people with aftermarket radios who have the same problem. I'd be interested to know if those of you experiencing this problem have Honda radios or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
machine3

Default I changed radio, still have same problem

I have had the same problem for a year or so. Stock radio. Remotes not working and i have to reprogram them and the dome light flickering.
I bought a radio (stock radio) on ebay put it in the other day. This morning i go into my garage and dome light is flickering and the remotes not working. Turned key on pushed valet button reprogrammed remotes all is well for now. Guess replacing radio wasn't the fix i needed.

Originally Posted by BruceK
I have been living with the problem described in quabbdude's original post for about 4 years now with my 96 Civic EX Coupe. I have factory "everything" in this car -- no aftermarket work (it has a Honda radio with cassette).

Every now and then, perhaps 1-3 times a month, I find my car in the morning has locked its doors in my garage, armed the security system and disabled the keyless entry remotes.

Each time I am forced to
1) unlock the door with the key
2) open the door, setting off the alarm (I guess I should just disable the alarm)
3) rush to get the key in and the "Valet" button pushed as the alarm blares
4) reprogram the car to accept the both remotes I own.

I took it in twice to a dealership. They were stumped. The first time they replaced some kind of door activation gizmo or switch. The second time they replaced the keyless entry computer. Both fixes failed.

Someone on a different blog claimed the problem was the Honda factory radio and that replacing it would solve the problem. He said this with a lot of confidence which made me think he had done this, but by now I think I've read about at least a few people with aftermarket radios who have the same problem. I'd be interested to know if those of you experiencing this problem have Honda radios or not.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM
eastrnr

Has anybody figured this out yet? I have an aftermarket radio with the factory radio wrapped up and behind the cup holders. I had the problem about 8 years ago and have had it a few different times over the years. I even tried to fix it by going to the junk yard and getting a different factory radio. Same result a few weeks later.

This might be a long shot, but would it have anything to do with the ignition switch? I'm having the problem of my Civic stalling and then starting just fine a few minutes later. I'm wondering if there is an link in the wiring. ?????