Notices

What is the problem ?

Old 08-18-2005, 02:48 PM
redcivdude
SOHC Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the problem ?

Lately, when I go to start up my car it cranks over but then stalls. When I try the key again to start it it won't start right up and I have to pump the gas pedal until the motor starts and then it spits out a whole bunch of white smoke from the exhaust. It only does this when it's really hot outside (I live in Florida) and it only recently started to do it. My mods include: intake, header, exhaust, OBD-1 conversion with a chipped ECU (Skunk2), y8 head swap, lightweight flywheel and clutch if that helps. Usually after it starts I'll have to rev it a couple of times and then after it runs for a minute or so it starts up just fine. I thought maybe I had some bad gas or oil or something but now I'm on a new tank of gas with gas with injector cleaner added to it and new oil (5w-30). I've heard that it could be my relay. Any suggestions ?

*I know my car is running rich but I've had the ECU in since Feb. of last year and it only just started to do it a few weeks ago.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Even when you start it cold (70 degrees or so) in the morning?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:46 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

If white smoke is coming out isn't that a coolant leak? Head gasket leak?

I was going to say starter or alternator is going bad.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
redcivdude
SOHC Monster

Originally Posted by Redcivic
Even when you start it cold (70 degrees or so) in the morning?
It hasn't really gotten that cold. But if I leave it parked in like a really shady area or I leave the windows down, it starts up almost perfectly.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Weird. Does'nt make sense. Let me think...........
Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 AM
redcivdude
SOHC Monster

Someone told me if the relay inside the car gets too hot that it can ruin it and that may be the cause of my problem. I have no CEL's or anything...I'm stuck. Could it be the relay ?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

I have never heard of that. have you checked your grounds and other major electrical connections?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 PM
ewood87
Eric Wood

main relay in your dash is getting too hot and the solders are spreading apart. common problem in hondas.. you can buy a new one or re-solder yours.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:06 PM
redcivdude
SOHC Monster

Okay. Well, I read up on mina relay problems and I also read up on igniter problems via this link http://www.marklamond.co.uk/howto/el...main-relay.htm. I've got a weird idle for a few minutes, it surges, but then it's fine. So would it be the relay or the igniter ? And also, how much to replace either of those ?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Tanker

Sounds like a flood. What happens is that the fuel injector sticks and bleed fuel into the cylinders right after shutdown. When you try to start it after a minute it won't start. But it will start only hours later no matter how hot it is outside then spits out white smoke. That white smoke is the build up of unburned fuel.

Flooring the gas helps since fuel vapor gets release this way. On some Hondas, fuel injectors will shut off the gas when floored. In some cases it won't shut off. In this case, you will need to manually un-flood it.

Step 1: Disconnect fuel pump and ECU fuses.
Step 2. Crank for 15-18 seconds, while flooring the gas. Don't crank too long or risk frying the starter.
Step 3. Put everything back and try to restart it.

These step will help rule out the main relay.