Notices

Rings?

Old 07-22-2005, 07:39 AM
delsol161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rings?

hey guys. my last thread was about a motor swap. i need to know if i even need to swap my motor out. basically, i have an oil problem. i.e, there is a layer of oil on top of every piston. i personally think it's rings. it smokes like a mofo, but runs great. 150k miles on the motor, and a preveious owner ran a NX kit. i think the rings have juss given out. what do ya'll think? how much would this cost to repair? i've found d series rings for like $120, but i thin kthe labor is what will kill me. any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

it could also be leaky valve seals
Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 AM
delsol161

that was my friend's suggestion. either way, the head is coming off i'm juss not sure @ this point which one it is. my dad said getting the valve seals replaced is like an $800 job... which is why i was juss gonna swap it for an LS. wither way, i'm looking @ more money than i have.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47 AM
servion

Do a leakdown test to find out for sure.

To test your rings, do a compression test. Then put a cap full of oil in each cylinder an do a compression test again. If it goes up significantly, its your rings.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:54 AM
delsol161

sounds good. i also juss foud a guy selling a d16 for $300. it'll bolt right up in my car... and the guy offered to sell me a matching turbo kit. i think that'd be faster than an LS with few mods. maybe that's the route to go? thanks.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:37 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

oh god.do a compression test, u can get the tool for about 30 bux from autozone. if ur numbers suck ass, its probably ur rings. are u smoking real bad? if so what color? if its anything to do with ur head, which i doubt, and u dont feel up to the task, take the head to a performance shop, look for a place run by an older guy. there less likely to rip u off,and itll be cheaper then honda stealership. if its rings, u might as well do it urself.
http://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lo...Token=67954909
these rings are for a 95 civic ex. this site is dirt cheap. how cheap ACL bearings will cost u atleast 100 bux off of honda-tech or any distributer, they have them for less then 30 bux, the site rules.
if u decide to do it ur self witht the rings, buy a ball hone. the stone hones are a pain in the ass to use, the ball hones are simple. ull need a torque wrench for ur head bolts, gircle bolts, and rod bolts. ull need some feeler gauges and a manual that has ring gaps, torque specs ets.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 AM
delsol161

it smokes very slightly@ idle. but if i get on it there is a small cloud behind my car till i shift (seems to be in high rpms). it's grayish smoke, very little blue. i cleaned the plugs and thats how i found the big problem... when i looked into the motor throught the holes for the plugs, i could see a layer of nasty, black oil sludge coating the top of each piston. i'm afraid it'll juss be easier and cheaper to buy like a d16 which'll bolt right up, and throw a turbo on it with my current mods.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Civic2Scooby

ok..not to be a dick, but compression test /= leak down test, and you can get shitty compression from a bad valve just as easily as you can from shot rings........and of course your numbers will go up if you do a wet compression test...if you really wanna know if it is rings or valves, have a leak down test performed. It will tell you exactly where you arent getting a tight fit, be it the rings or valves.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
delsol161

i dunno. it's all juss frustrating. i was already pissed cuz i'm repainting my entire car... now my motor is screwed. i'm so tired of it. i need a cheap motor. lol, it'd be so easy.