Notices

Civic 6X9 Speaker Installation..Is it Possible?

Old 06-25-2005, 08:27 PM
deadi16
Springfieldcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 6X9 Speaker Installation..Is it Possible?

I just bought a very cheap pair of 4-way Pioneer 6X9 speakers on Ebay. I tried installing them in my 93 Civic coupe. I had to do a little custom work to get them to fit in the small holes (I put 2 pieces of wood under them to stabilize them and to keep the huge magnets from sticking to the trunk). They worked great for a few days...GREAT bass, very loud and clear... but all of a sudden they stopped working that well. They are very fuzzy now, there is almost no bass, and it sounds horrible if you turn them up. Should I not have installed this large of speakers in my car?? Did the magnets cause them to short out?? Is there any other way I can install them?? And are they permanently damaged, or can they be fixed??
I just wanted great sounding speakers, and it's hard to get that from the stock size.
Some helpful responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
96GreenCivic

Are you running an OE HU or aftermarket? Could it be possible they are under powered?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:31 PM
deadi16
Springfieldcivic

aftermarket-older pioneer
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 AM
Mr_Goodbar

Check the wiring. A lot of times, loose wiring that rattles around makes a really bad crackling sound. Also, try going to Best Buy and getting a couple of 6x9 speaker boxes. That way you have a clean install and you can put them wherever you want without them sticking to your car. Also, make sure your resistance ratings for your head unit are the same as your speakers i.e. 4 ohms - 4 ohms. If the ratings are different, you may be clipping the speakers, but if it sounded good when you first installed them, then you probly have a wiring problem. PM me if you have any problems.