Notices

H22A in a 95 Civic EX Sedan

Old 02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
95civicex4dr
JHMEH9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A fitting in a 95 Civic EX Sedan??

I was thinking about putting a H22A in my 95 civic ex sedan. I was wondering if I have to do any body modifications in order to make the H22 fit besides the aftermarket motor mounts. Someone told me that you have to bang out your wheel wells in order to make it fit. Someone also said that I wouldnt be able to close my hood. I don't know if I believe them, they might have been talkin about 4th gen. civics... I have a EH9 chassis on my car. Please tell me what I would have to do in order to get a H22A fit in my civic!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 AM
gingas

I honestly wouldn't go that route as everything you've stated. For starters, parts are harder& cost more, added weight & most important auto or 5spd. Personally, why don't you go with a B16 or B18C1. Not sure what money you're working with. Also why would you really want to have someone banging on your car to get something to work that wasn't designed to fit your ride. I have a B16 in my EF Si & love it. Don't get me wrong the H22A is like having air cooled Bug & putting a 2.0 in the bug it'll fly.Choice is yours, good luck
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Try the K series. I saw a pdf file of what's required from a website. The K series is what's in the latest civic and it's a 2.0. Here's a weblink to possible combo's and instruction manuals from hasport.com
http://www.hasport.com/Tech/Hasport%20.htm
Since it's newer, parts may be more plentiful. Goodluck.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:15 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

you dont have to do anything to the wheel well..you will have to cut the firewall...a friend of mine also did something to the inside of the car instead of cutting the fire wall but i cant recall what he did, ill ask him and post it up ASAP.

parts dont really cost more for H series, they're as abundant as B series engines except they usually go into Accords when swapping them.

its really up to you and how much cash you have. If you want something easy to put in without any MAJOR modifications to the car, go with the B series. If i had the cash *again* i would probably put the H22A in a 4 door. A tad bit more torque for a slightly heavier car. Its really up to u dood, good luck to ya
Old 03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Again, it all depends on how much u want to spend, if u spend the extra $ and go with the 2.2, then u are going to get a little more bang for the buck when you do aftermarket upgrades, since it is a higher displacement motor you will get better HP and TQ gains when you upgrade parts.

Look at it this way, if you got the H22, you spend about 1200 on the motor and would spend about 1000 more just to put it in the car. If you got the 1.6 or 1.8, you spend 1-2k depending on the motor, and you have about 1k to put into it to make it better....

If I were you, I would get a complete B16 swap from Hmotors, with LSD tranny, and do a NA setup, with a new head, aftermarket cams, and all of the other small bolt ons, intake mani, and header. If you dont like that then boost it. And you will save $ in the long run, get experience working with the car, and find out what you like.

Now if you just want a stock motor, and u are not going to touch it, you just want a good amount of power, get the H22, but keep in mind, people charge you an arm and a leg to work on that motor, and from my experience, its a picky motor, I baby'd mine, and drove it hard when I would go to the track, and the motor decided it didnt like it, so the block cracked.... And its not very easy to find junkyard parts for cheap for the H22.

But if you need, lets say a head for a B16 or 18, all u gotta do is go to the local import yard with a breaker bar, and in about 20 min, you have a new head..
Old 03-03-2005, 05:37 AM
95civicex4dr
JHMEH9

racerdave:

Are you sayin that the B-series engines are more reliable than the H series? Would there be a noticeable difference if I put a B-series engine w/ minor upgrades in my car? I was thinking about putting a B16A in my car but the torque is pretty weak....

whats the difference with the LSD tranny?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

I am just speaking from experience about the relyability, I think in the long run, you might be happier with the B series, dont get me wrong, I love the H, but how things are lookin in the honda world, the H is going to be a thing of the past... B's are all over the place. I was going to get the B16 with LSD setup, (divorced now)"thank goodness" and dont have the $... But when I can I am going to do it. What motor do you have in the car now?

I have a D16Z6, I want to get a B16 or 18, and while I have a Bolt on B in my car, I can upgrade the D16 for a major amount of boost, that way I have somthing to tinker with and somthin to drive while I mess with the other motor. I dont know about you, but I love to build a motor, even if it is a D series. After I build the D, I can boost it, swap it back in, and then build the B series for a NA setup, and maybe Nitros. And whatever one I dont like, or get tired of I can sell. Or keep just incase one blows up. Thats my plan atleast. We will see how far it gets when the summer rolls around.

Its really up to you on what u want to do. Just find somone who has an H, and somone who has a B, count your cash, and do whatever u think is best.

LSD is limited slip diff. It means instead of only one drive wheel the power is transfered to both front wheels. So you get much better traction, and you get more out of the motor... Its a must if you like to go fast around sharp corners. For example, If you take a hard right, and your car transfers weight to the left side, your right wheel is the drive wheel, and its hardly got any weight on it when you go into the turn, and I have had the drive wheel come off of the ground many times, and you slow way down, and slide, its no fun. With the LSD: Hard right, left wheel gets power to it so it gets traction, and sticks to the ground, pulling you out of the turn with no lost traction or power.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:50 PM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

swaps not that hard, essentially the same as a b-series (assuming you go with the HAsport mounts). you just have to bring yourself to cut holes in you're floorpan (for the shifter cables) and hack off you're frame rail mount (for the shifting mechanisim). cause after you do that there is no turning back.

also wirings a bitch, at least it was with the f22 we put in my boys 4 door.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 PM
95civicex4dr
JHMEH9

I got a D16Z6 VTEC in my car right now, my tranny is pretty shot though, it grinds 1st and leaks like a bitch...I think Im gonna go with the B series cause one of my friends who is a mechanic said they would put a B series in but not a H series, plus I think in the long run I could get more HP out of the B16. I just put a strut bar on my car and it handles like a champ, I cant wait to put my rims back on....then I can really test it. The steering seems to be a lot tighter also...
Old 03-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Civic2Scooby

wow what the hell is goin on in this thread. H22A into an EG chassis if you get the HASport mounts, will fit just fine...you have to hammer a small dent into the subframe rail so that the pulley wont rub against it from the crank. I would also recomend a combination of axles and half shaft made specifically for the swap, and they can also be had by HASport...if not you can use I think its an accord int. shaft with 93 teg axles. I dunno bout this firewall non-sense, and as far as weight blah blah blah the thing only weighs 50lbs more than a B swap. My next project will be an H powred EK hatch. I did a b16a swap into my 95, and regretted not going the H route all along. The hardest part will prob. be cutting the new hole in the floor to adapt for the cable style shifter.