Notices

honda oil filter wrench? any comments?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
asiancivicguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda oil filter wrench? any comments?

If i used the OEM Honda oil filters do i have to use their filter wrench since I was checking out advancedautoparts.com and they listed the wrench as "loaner from Honda"? Also is 5w-20 (in my case Mobil 1 0w-20) too thin? Should I go with 5w-30? If it affects the decision of which viscosity i use, I live in Florida.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Don't use 5W in Florida. The temperature range is not as good for hot weather. Also, use your hand, you don't need a wrench.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:42 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I have one of those black plastic filter wrenches from Pep Boys. Just incase the filter is too tight. I put mine on hand tight, but as the heat expands and contracts the filter it gets a little tighter on the threads.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:50 PM
oldskoolcivic

i work at a shop.. just use your hands, its alot easier. if u cant get it out, wipe all the oil out of the filter and your hands.. it shouldnt be that hard.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Bought one of these at Pepboy's a few years ago and haven't never once regretted it.

It will dent and destroy the filter as you clamp down on it but you just throw them in the garbage anyway. I just tighten them by hand but I typically can't get a good angle on the sucker to loosen them by hand.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Originally Posted by Redcivic
Don't use 5W in Florida. The temperature range is not as good for hot weather. Also, use your hand, you don't need a wrench.
So you're saying he should use 10W?

As for the wrench, I found out the hard way that (when you can't use your hand because someone put it on too tight) that the end cap wrenches are only compatible with the filter that it was designed for. If you want a general purpose filter wrench, get the one that looks like a looped nylon (like a seat belt) strap connected to a squared rod with a small hole through it. This wrench wrappes around the stubborn filter and you wind up the slack onto the rod. Then you stick a screwdriver through the hole and twist. It's also good because it allows you to get into tight spaces with it.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
taz77

Old 01-10-2005, 10:29 PM
03cbr600f4iguy

Originally Posted by Andy
Bought one of these at Pepboy's a few years ago and haven't never once regretted it.

It will dent and destroy the filter as you clamp down on it but you just throw them in the garbage anyway. I just tighten them by hand but I typically can't get a good angle on the sucker to loosen them by hand.

can you get a good angle to get to the filter with this wrench on your 98? i have a really hard time getting anything in there cuz theres no room on my 96.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:25 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Ooo... taz77's wrench looks adjustable and you use a socket wrench on it. If you've got some nice socket wrench and extensions then that looks like a great one to use.

I've never seen it before. Where can I get one?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Yes, use 10W. The if you don't have a filter wrench just jam a screw driver through the filter and twist it off. Or maybe work out a little so you can gain enough strength to take an oil filter off.