Notices

Rear lower tie bar install - an easier way

Old 12-20-2004, 05:55 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lower tie bar install - an easier way

I've read that installing a rear lower tie bar is a pain in the &^%% because of the pressure of the suspension causes it to misalign. Well, I've changed out my suspension and found it pretty easy (with the right tools) and I think I know a way to make the lower tie bar easier to install, but this is theory, so someone confirm please.

THE IDEA: the LCA is connected at three points: the joint to the subframe (where the tie bar will connect), the joint to the hub assembly, and the bolt to the suspension. Due to the angle of the LCA at the ball joint, a jack can easily and fairly stably be placed under it. We'll be removing the two end joint bolts.

1) remove the bolt at the hub assembly side of the LCA - put jack under LCA under ball joint and lift just enough so the car starts to come off the jack stand. Remove the 14mm bolt. (Beware, this is where some bolts have rusted so badly that they brake.) Lower jack. Pressure has now been removed from the whole LCA.

2) remove the bolt at the subchassis side of the LCA. The LCA will dangle from the suspension. Mount the tie bar. Replace the bolt and torque.

3) use the jack again to lift the arm and line up the LCA hole with the hole in the hub assembly. Insert bolt and torque.

EASY, right?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:21 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually the easiest way is to do all of your suspension at one time, or at least your sways, springs/shocks and bars.