Notices

Strange recurring rpm problem 95 del Sol VTEC

Old 12-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Jinx32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange recurring rpm problem 95 del Sol VTEC

Car only has header and AEM intake. No further modifications. Use Amoco 93 all the time, change oil every 3750, fluids are topped off.
Car has 236,000 miles on it. Yes, alot. Runs perfect except the following recurring problem.

History:

When car had about 100,000 miles on it, I was cruising down the NJTPK at about 80 in the fast lane. Suddenly the car just bucked, then tries to stall. Throw it into neutral and the rpms dump big time. Car stalls, I pull over clueless. CEL light is on. Turn car off, and restart. It starts right up like nothing happened. Doesn't happen again for another 10,000 miles. This time, happens again, cruising along, maybe 65 mph. Car starts to buck, then tries to stall. I put it into neutral, rpms dropping. I put my foot to the floor and I can hold the rpms to about 3000 but it wants to drop like a stone. CEL comes on. I let go of the gas and it stalls. While still coasting, I turn off the ignition and start up the car in neutral. It was like nothing happened. Resumed speed. Noticed something new. Whenever this happens, my idle is all buggered up and starts to bounce while waiting at a stop light. I have to wait until I get home and turn the idle screw down. This kind of problem happened intermittently for the next 100,000 miles. Then 2 weeks ago, I started the car on a damp day in the parking garage. Put it into reverse and she bucked a little, the CEL came on and the car tried to stall. I turned it off and on again, since this always worked before, and it continued to fight me. For the next 14 miles of my 47 mile commute, she kept doing it. Eventually it stopped and the idle was high again. I adjusted it down, yet again. Now, about 3 times per commute, each way, she will just buck for no reason. Won't stall, no code. Just cruising and then buck. Maybe even buck, pause, 2 more bucks, then resume like nothing happened. Bucks hard enough to throw my head forward. Anyone have a clue? I have a jumper in my car at all times now, ready to pull the car over as soon as I see the CEL, because it erases it once the car is turned off. Hopefully I will catch it before it gets too far into winter.

Help?

Jason
Old 12-16-2004, 04:45 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I don't know, but I have the same engine so it would be interesting to see what people have to say about it.
Someone will come along in a little while I'm pretty sure and have some thoughts.
Welcome to HAN, and I hope we get that sorted out.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:28 PM
sleepersol

This is just a shot in the dark but it sounds like a ignition problem. On the other hand a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump could also cause a problem similar to this. Or your throttle plate is gumming up and sticking. When was the last time that you did a full tune up (ie. fuel filter, cap, rotor) Next time it happens pull to the side of the road and before you turn the engine off get the code from the ecu. Where in Jersey are you located. A friend of mine owns a shop in flemington that is really good (and he won't rip you off)
Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

very strange.. i'd check over all your ignition parts & do all the normal replacments if it's been a while.. make sure you change your cap & rotor & make sure that it's clean in there with nothing flying around that randomly hits something that it's not supposed to!

Next.. chage u'r fuel filter.. maybe somehow there is something floating around in there thet randomly gets caught in the exit area of it.. (or water that gets sent though your fuel system & into the combustion chaimber & aparently doesn't ignite causing strange jerk... not likely.. but try fuel cleaner)

Something else to check.. really really weird & i doubt it would be the problem.. but when was your last coolant flush.. is it dirty / do u have radiator chunks in it that would make u'r IACV read something really strage..

just some suggestions that you might want to take into concideration.. could be a lot of different things.. really hard to say.. but start with the basics
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Jinx32

Cleaned off the contacts in the distributor cap and on the rotor this weekend. Also put on a set of Magnecor 8.5mm wires. Measured the ohms on the coil as well. All checked out fine. Drove fine on my short test run but problem usually occurs during long drives. Was going to take it to work today but the doors were frozen shut, couldn't get in.

Weather supposed to improve, maybe it will be thawed out when I get home.

J
Old 12-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

hope it works out.. best of luck to ya!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Originally Posted by Jinx32
Was going to take it to work today but the doors were frozen shut, couldn't get in.

Weather supposed to improve, maybe it will be thawed out when I get home.
Does this really happen?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:26 AM
sleepersol

Yea when it rains and then it is 15 degrees overnight like it was here in Jerz last night the water freezes the door to the frame. sucks royally
Old 12-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

this is why i was in search for a large garage when i was in the market to buy a house!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 AM
servantry

hey man. i live near philly. what the heck was with that INSANE weather yesterday?!
i had the same problems, doors were shut completely, i had to hitch a ride to work. when i got back at 5, though, it was all thawed. that sucks.
i saw a thread where they recommended putting down the rear seats at night and crawling in the trunk if this happens .. puhaha