Notices

replacing wheel studs

Old 12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
sakura99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing wheel studs

i need to replace one of the (front) wheel studs on my ek. i thought this would be a relativly easy r & r procedure; remove wheel, caliper, rotor, hub, stud, then press in new stud. anyways, i have heard from a number of people that to get to the back of the hub the ball joint needs to be removed, as well as the tie-rods, and some other stuff that i can't remember at this time. i can't visualize why this is necessary, (but i'm not doubting that it needs to be done) so is there any diy on wheel studs around?

oh yeah, i tried to download the service manuals on the online resources sticky, and the estimated time of download was like 19+ hours, (and i'm on a cable connection) so yeah, can any one help out?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

if you take the whole hub out then yes you would have to remove the tie rod, upper control arm, and lower control arm. But i did my studs about 2 years ago and I dont rember taking all that stuff off.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
bambbrose

I did mine last week with some extended studs, and I did have to remove my hub, but to remove the hub from the spindle, you have to press it out, and therefore need to pull the spindle and take it to a press, which is why you have to pull the tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and upper ball joints. I've heard of grinding down the corner of the back of the stud to make it slide out without removing the hub, but never tried it personally