Notices

Universal Back boxes ... Any good? Advice needed.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
fragm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal Back boxes ... Any good? Advice needed.

Hi,

I'm looking for a fairly quiet stainless steel back box for my Civic Si. Has anyone had any experience fitting one? Any advice you can offer? I'm a complete noob with exhausts.

I'm not looking for something that will *not* boost performance much, if at all, as my insurance policy doesn't allow it ... I just want something that looks good, sounds sporty, not loud & won't rust!!

Any opinions welcome ....

nik
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 PM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

WTF is a "back box"? I am guessing a muffler?
What yr Si?
Old 09-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Back box? :wtf:

Universal mufflers need to be welded on by an experienced person. They sound pretty bad without larger piping anyway.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:44 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Originally Posted by Kai
Back box? :wtf:

Universal mufflers need to be welded on by an experienced person. They sound pretty bad without larger piping anyway.
and please please please please if you go with new piping to make sure you have a resonator put on also
Old 09-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by WideBodyEK
and please please please please if you go with new piping to make sure you have a resonator put on also
Yeah, that too.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 AM
fragm

Hi, Thanks for your advice.

Yes a "Back Box" is what you guys in the US call a "muffler". I'm from the UK so occasionally come up with strange terms like that.

My car is a 1995 Civic Esi 3DR, which is the same as the US "Si" (D16). Except, I'm not sure whether catalytic converters were fitted to Civic Si's as early as 1995 in the US? UK law meant they had to be fitted from 1992 onwards.

In response to Kia; I've looked under the car & it doesn't look like any welding is needed, as the muffler is suspended from "rubber bungees". There are only 2 bolts to undo, that attach the rear section of the exhaust (muffler + pipe) to the middle section. But, again, I have no experience of universal exhausts.

Will a resonator make the exhaust quieter? I don't want to replace the middle section of the exhaust, as it's practically brand new (previous owner). I'm not too worried about sound, as long as it's quiet.

If anyone has any more advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by fragm
Except, I'm not sure whether catalytic converters were fitted to Civic Si's as early as 1995 in the US? UK law meant they had to be fitted from 1992 onwards.
US market cars have had catalytic converters since the 70's/early 80's. I know the Civics had them by '84, probably by '80 or earlier.
In response to Kia; I've looked under the car & it doesn't look like any welding is needed, as the muffler is suspended from "rubber bungees". There are only 2 bolts to undo, that attach the rear section of the exhaust (muffler + pipe) to the middle section. But, again, I have no experience of universal exhausts.
Universal exhausts have no extra piping, flanges, or hanger hooks. They all need to be welded on, trust me.

Oh, and the name is Kai. Not Kia.
Will a resonator make the exhaust quieter?
Yes. Think of it as another muffler.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by Kai
Oh, and the name is Kai. Not Kia.
how's the Rio holding up? :db:
Old 09-15-2004, 12:54 PM
fragm

Hi Kai,

Thanks for your reply & apologies for the typo on your name, Kai. Interesting that america lead the way with environmental policy back in the 70s! But I can talk, I'd do anything for a V8 really ... if I could afford the fuel!

Quiet is good. Will look into resonators Btw, do you know any mufflers for a 92-95 Civic Si that are less than 4" (3 would be good) & won't wake up the neighbours? The reason I'm considering the hassle of a universal is I just can't find a purpose built one.

Now I see where the welding comes in; the hangers. A friend had suggested to me that they can be attached to the muffler using clips that go around the entire muffler. This is easier if the muffler is round in shape, apparently. I'm not sure whether this is a good idea(??) but it appeals to the financially poor student part of my brain.

Will keep researching! Any further thoughts would be well received.

Thanks,

Nick.