Notices

Timing Belt Replacement help

Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 AM
mrcivic94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement help

Hello all,

In about 2 weeks I will be replacing a timing belt on a 1994 Honda Civic Manual transmission, 4 door sedan.

I was told that while I'm in there I should also replace the waterpump and some belts. I would like to order all of these parts before I begin (Duh ) and wondering if someone knows everything I should get...

Timing Belt
Waterpump
Belt 1 (Name?)
Belt 2 (Name?
? Anything else? Tools I need? Torque Wrench? Etc...

I've never ventured this far into things... but my friend doesn't have too much cash to give the car place, so I feel like if I have the right tools and docs I can do it..

Any advice? I just want to have all tools, all parts, everything I need to make this happen before I start taking it all apart!

Thanks!!! I am very greatful for any info available. I did get the HELMS manual which seems decent.

Are there any other online/offline docs that may help?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:08 AM
NoRiCeHeRe

Generally when you change your timing belt its wise to change the water pump. Reason being, is because you're already in the same area to change both and its a pain in the arse to get to both. h: As for the other belts, :dunno: I did purchase a gasket for the water pump but the gasket I had on was good. Hope this helps.

Are you doing this yourself?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:12 AM
mrcivic94

Originally Posted by NoRiCeHeRe
Generally when you change your timing belt its wise to change the water pump. Reason being, is because you're already in the same area to change both and its a pain in the arse to get to both. h: As for the other belts, :dunno: I did purchase a gasket for the water pump but the gasket I had on was good. Hope this helps.

Are you doing this yourself?
Thanks - I see there is a timing belt kit which comes with a few other items. A tensioner perhaps? Not sure if I need that or not.

Yes, I'm going to do it myself.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

timing belt and waterpump alone should be fine. you can easily see and get to the other belts on the engine and replace them as needed. So I would suggest look at the belts to see if they need replacing before you actually replace those.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:26 PM
cowanpp
Card carrying badass

You might also want to do a little search through this forum on your topic. I believe this was already covered a week or two ago along with other tips for tune ups.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

You should also do the crankshaft oil seal and the cam seal too while you are in there. You should also replace the valve cover gasket. I have never replaced a tensioner so I don't see the point.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:27 AM
Wigin2

umm.. rem.. to get the o-rings that attach the water pump to the crank.. if u dont replace them.. u ll have a leaky water pump and it will be a bitch to get back down there to play with. You will usually have to t... up the bolts to 137 footpounds... and measure the lenght of the belts.. honda... states that measuring the belt size is an accurate assesment of how the belts wear..... but the kit should have all the ness stuff for u to use