Notices

98 Civic Coupe.. jerkin a bit

Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 PM
zuczek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic Coupe.. jerkin a bit

I have a 98 Civic Coupe. When I accelerate to say 3000rpmin second, then take the foot off the gas, the car jerks a few times, the shift lever moves back and forth a bit. On other cars I recently drove (5spd) when I took the foot off the gas the car simply slowed down. Car has about 100k on it.

In 1st it is even worse. I can hardly drive in rush hour traffic. I know its a manual but I must say it got worse throughout the years I've had the car.

Could this mean that the tranny is wearing down? Could it be the engine mounts? Or is this normal and Im just gettin too old and need an automatic?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
marshun

thats how standard is. if youre rolling faster and you let off the gas then it wont jerk as much.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:53 PM
civic-tuner

Yeah, that seems normal.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 PM
FromTheBottom
Driver of Trains

are you letting off the gas gradually or quickly? my car is jerky like that if i let off the gas quickly in 1st and 2nd too. i'd say it's completely normal.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:34 PM
zuczek

I must say, I let the gas off quickly. But when Im in 3rd and I press the gas quickly I guess it responds fast too. I jerks forward quite a bit.

I think Im just paranoid and looking for an excuse to buy a new car.

The new 2004 Civic 4dr Si. looks nice... Same as the Coupe but 4dr. (Canada)
Old 05-12-2004, 09:42 PM
bambbrose

do you ever have check engine lights? sometimes your crankshaft position sensor will be reading slightly bad and cause I jerky situation..
Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 PM
zuczek

No, no engine check light. Unless the bulb is burned out? I can go and have them read the computer. They do it free here at one of the parts stores.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:34 PM
bambbrose

It wouldn't hurt to check I guess. It might just be normal.. my coupe does it a little bit in first and second gear but not too bad. Does your tranny whine at all when going slow in first?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:00 PM
zuczek

It whines sometimes when lifting my foot off the clutch from first. I had issues with this transmission before. At 48,000km (30k miles) I had the main shaft and some bearing replaced because of the whining. It was still under warranty. Then the whining went away for couple of years, now its back, but only when slowly lifting my foot of the clutch in first or reverse.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
taz77

i really don't know why everyone's insisting that it's normal cause it's not. if you're cruising at 3000 rpms in second and you release the gas pedal, it is not supposed to jerk a FEW times. keep in mind that if you're accelerating in any gear, your foot is OFF the clutch pedal so this also has nothing to do with how FAST you realease the clutch pedal because you were never on the clutch.

anywayz... take the car back to the dealer. this is not normal. have the repair it under warranty. after it's fixed, you have ANOTHER warranty for the parts and labor on the repair that "fixed" your problem. it's usually one year from the repair date. if in that new warranty period it does it again... bring it back to the dealer under the warranty, and just keep doing it til they get it right. if they can't, they might just put in a reman tranny for free.

that's how we do it...

Quick Reply: 98 Civic Coupe.. jerkin a bit