Notices

Sand blasting or something...

Old 04-25-2004, 08:45 PM
theguy386
I am tehguy... OH YEAH!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand blasting or something...

:dunno:

Ive seen how sometimes people will post up their engine or engine parts and say they just got them out of the oven or they just got them blasted, what exactly does all this mean.

Is it something thats done to clean out everything? Is it recomended to take an engine apart and "clean" evrything and put in new greases, oils, etc.? (when working with a swap of course; like doing it before you swap it in)
Old 04-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by theguy386
:dunno:

Ive seen how sometimes people will post up their engine or engine parts and say they just got them out of the oven or they just got them blasted, what exactly does all this mean.

Is it something thats done to clean out everything? Is it recomended to take an engine apart and "clean" evrything and put in new greases, oils, etc.? (when working with a swap of course; like doing it before you swap it in)

Basically, fine particles of sand, glass or small beads are shot under high air pressure at the part to remove crud, oil, paint, and oxidation. It's done almost purely for cosmetics. You have to be very carefull when doing this as the small particles can find their way into your new engine and mess things up quickly. The parts need to be very well rinsed to prevent this from happening.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Aluminum engine parts, like heads and blocks, are usually put in an acid bath to clean them.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally Posted by Kai
Aluminum engine parts, like heads and blocks, are usually put in an acid bath to clean them.
Word. I just sprayed mine down with brake cleaner... I'm a cheap bastard, and I was in a rush to get it back in the car...