Notices

Spark plug gap and spark plug Questions (z6)

Old 02-17-2004, 05:06 PM
pomansouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearheaddave
Ok, if he says no to the upgraded ignition then I would tell you fork it up for a higher output coil, you really have to work with the gap when you do upgrades to your engine(especialy Turbo), pomanshoth is correct.
A "hot plug" has a long insulator nose which exposes more surface area to the combustion gases. This keeps the plug temperature higher overall which is perfect for stop-start city driving conditions.
"cold plug" has a shorter insulator nose, which minimizes the amount of surface area exposed to the combustion gases. Cold plugs are usualy used in racing conditions because it can transfer heat out of the cylinder chamber faster. Most turbo, supercharged and NOS applications use this type of plug because of the tremendous heat they generate. A colder plug can also minimize the risk of pre-ignition and detonation, however if the plug is to cold there is risk of fouling during extended periods of idling and low-speed operation.

Like I said befor if you want a nice set of cold plugs, upgrade your ignition, if you dont want to upgrade your ignition then go buy some DENSO plugs, DENSO Iridium spark plugs use on average 5,000 fewer volts to fire than normal plugs. They are not exactily expencive but they will save you money in the long run.....
very true, in my source, the high-performance honda builders handbook vol. I the narrator also states that the weak point in a honda ignition system is the coil. they rigged a stock distributor cap to run an external coil, they drilled a hole in the top of the dristributor cap. i believe this guy because 1. it is in a book, hes not getting payed to advertise, but is speaking his knowlege and experience. 2. he has built a gs-r that put out a whoping 825 whp with turbo. hes pretty smart with his shizzy
Old 02-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Gearheaddave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so there ya have it. Good luck with the build.