Notices

Thinking of getting a different car

Old 11-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Motohip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a different car

I always look in the papers to see how much del Sols are going for these days and it seems to have gone up since I bought mine. I could sell it for 5.5 or $6K maybe.

I've been looking in the papers to find a nice 92+ 325i(s) for my brother who's in Cali. He want's me to find one here cause they're about 1-2 grand less than over there.

Anyways, I've come across a few 318's and one 325is that are around $5000-$5500. That's so much cheaper than 2 years ago when I was looking for a car.

I've driven a 93 325is. I guess it comes with the sport package and this guy had M3 wheels, exhaust and a dinan chip. The car was sollid!!! He was selling the car for $7000 and my brother was going to buy it, but he couldn't get the money to me in time and the guy sold it. Really cool guy BTW. I also drove a 4door and the handling wasn't as tight and the body jiggled over bumps. My point is, the car is much more comfortable than mine and very quiet too. I have a bad back and the sol seats are killing me.

So...do you guys think it would be wise to get a BMW? Will the maintanace kill me? I sortta know how to fix stuff on my car, but should I even attempt it on the bimmer? I heard that the 325is is classified as a sports car, so insurance might get me. I could go for the 318i or 318ti, but the ride won't be as tight.

Give me thoughts, oppinions, slaps in the face...whatever. Thanks guys
Old 11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Soltaker
I'm a bad, bad man.

I hear maintinence is a biatch. Quite expensive. As far as BMW's in general, with the exception of the current gen M3 they all bore the shit out of me. I mean...when I think "BMW" I think 1) snooty rich-people's car or 2) spoiled 18 year old rich-kid's graduation gift. They just don't do a damn thing for me. It is very easy for me to say that, being that I have had very little personal experience with BMW's, but hey....you asked for my thoughts!
Old 11-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Falkon
still alive

I've driven one. Didn't like it. If it's automatic it's slow even though this one had a Z3 swap done. BTW you wanna work on it yourself? HAH, don't even start with me there. Your best bet is to get another little sporty fun car. I'd say 240SX. I'm really leaning toward a RWD car now too, but I'd miss my del sols beauty and fuel economy. I could MAYBE deal with a car that got 30mpg and up on the highway. I know I could deal with a 240sx, so I think that's what you should get. Plenty of power, you'll find something that was missing from your del sol too. Just drive a 240 and you'll figure it out pretty fast.

They have reliable engines and get 30mpg highway. Premium gas, etc. Personally I don't understand why a toyota mr2 has 142 torque out of a 1.6l when Honda is getting 106 out of that same size. They're both 125hp, but I can say which I like better. Not to mention the toyota engine gets good gas mileage too. I think a lot of people are steering away from Honda, due to the whole issue of a FWD economy car. That's what they have always been. If the Del Sol were RWD I would never even think about giving it up.

Personally to repeat, I think you'd be suited with a 240SX. They don't look as great as the sol, but you'd probably enjoy it more.

On a side note, if you have blue stripe seats I WANT THEM!!!!!1111oneoneone
Old 11-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Motohip

LOL, I do have blue stipes .

My sister had a 240sx. It was okay. Had lots of torque. When driving, I felt so high up like I was floating 5 feet above the ground. Handled awesome though and had a smaller steering wheel than my car. One problem though...it was a mess of electrical and mechanical problems. The car died finaly a few months ago.

I do want rear wheel drive. I'd like to be able to seat more than two people. I love the Mr2, but never drove one.

I'm starting to think it would be a bad idea. I'm starting winter term soon and I really don't know how I'm going to sell my car and buy another one at the same time. I also don't have much time to spare.

Should I try to improve upon the things that I hate about my car or is that a waste of money?

PS. I still have those blue stripe seats
Old 11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Motohip

Originally posted by Falkon
I've driven one. Didn't like it. If it's automatic it's slow even though this one had a Z3 swap done.
What's a Z3 swap? Did you mean M3? (Blue stripe :chuckles: )
Old 11-12-2003, 04:41 PM
rtpassini

my ex g/f's dad had a race-spec 99bmw dinan 3. it was nice and all that, his rotors are ****in bigger than my rims. supercharged and all that good stuff.its fun to drive, but no way i could afford that stuff. but maintenance (sp?) is a bitch. everything is very expensive. id pass for now.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Just buy a lude. Still easy to work on, slap an h22 in it, you're done. Comfy, quick, good lookin...
Old 11-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Motohip

Yeah, but an H22 would be more than I could afford.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:21 PM
tib
ex-soler

dont know much about BMW's, but if they are anything like mercedes, expect to pay out the ear whenever anything goes wrong. plus german cars in general are funny when it comes to self-maintence... cant even change the oil on the s320 (or is it 420... cant remember atm, its not mine) nor can jiffy lube
Old 11-12-2003, 08:19 PM
OSX2000
Do what must be done.

Originally posted by Bakeoff
Just buy a lude. Still easy to work on, slap an h22 in it, you're done. Comfy, quick, good lookin...
Uhhh...Preludes come with the H22 preinstalled do they not? lol