View Single Post
Old 06-07-2003, 09:21 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KRA
now, is that description on how to install them like, or the BEST sound. is there another option on how to install them, so they sound decent. im not looking for competition type sound.

and.. what are passives? never heard of them, i dont think they come with them. mind explaining what they are, do, where to get them...

thanks bro..
That is how they are designed to work. Welcome to the world of horns . That's the only way I would recommend installing them, they are less forgiving then conventional speakers when placement is concerned because of their special dispersion characteristics.

With horns, often, there is no decent and comp level. For example with conventionals, there is door mounted (decent) and kickpanels (best) - now I don't want to start any arguments about where to put conventionals...it's just an example.

For horns there's either good or bad - it's more binary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14943

If you want to run your whole front stage from two channels of amplification, that's what you want to get. See the two boxes at the bottom, those are the passives. They allow you to run the horn and mid from the same channel, and it also matches the power from your mid to the horn. Because of the extreme sensitivity of horns (typically over 100 dB), they only need 10W - more then that is over kill. (for the record mine will have ~30...YIKES ... - it's overkill...but who said that's a bad thing)

When setting up horns, you should keep in mind the following rule of thumb - 1/3/5 -- for every watt you send to the horns, send 3 to your mids, and 5 too your subs.

The passive takes care of this for your mids, that way you can use one amplifier channel for left and right instead of two. It does all the matching for you.

Hope that helps you out, let me know if you have any more questions about them.