Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

just won image dynamic horns off ebay.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:09 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just won image dynamic horns off ebay.

they are the CD1E v.2 horns. now i just need a place to mount them. any ideas? i heard under the front seats maybe, or over like, where your legs go while sitting in the front.

anyone have these? how do they sound?
Old 06-06-2003, 08:35 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me break this into parts:

POSITIONING/SECURING
There is only one place/way to mount them....Mount them so that they are parallel to the gound, parallel to the dash edge, then shove them as far back toward the firewall, and as far to the outside of the car as possible.

Also mount them as even as possible from side to side (meaning make the driver and passenger side mirror images). You will probably want to mount the passenger side first because the heater will give you trouble.

You can use some flat aluminum stock, or even radio backstrapping for the mounting. I'd recommend three mounts, one on each side of the throat, and one near the motor. The horns can't move at all while the car is driving.

DISPERSION CONTROL
Next you will want to create a filler panel that goes between the lower edge of the dash and the top edge of the horn. This couples the horn body to the dash board.

You can make this panel of anything you want (even cardboard will work, but you should cover it with some carpet, head liner material, etc. This panel not only enlarges the size of the horn (adding the dash to it's size), the padding kills some of the "hot" high frequencies and helps to tone them down. These panels will also ensure that you don't get mulitple point sources. If youdon't do this, the output will go between the dash and the fire wall, vibrating a ton of stuff back there, and will come out all over..it will be a mess.

I would also recommend that you use a dash pad for the top of your dash. It will help to kill the reflections between the dash and the windshield and will raise your stage.

WIRING
I hope you got the passives with them, you will need them to use these horns as they are not "true" compression drivers. The drivers have no real impedance by themselves, so there is a lightbulb added to them to creat their impedance, so while you don't need the passives, you will need a separate amplifier channel for them. The passives will also do all of the power matching between the horn and the mid.

So just get your mids, hook them all up. Keep in mind that those passives get VERY hot. The power handling of the system is determined by how you mount them (with the cover on, off or with the cover spaced from the body of the network). You may want to treat them as amplifiers and even add forced cooling.

This happens because of the way that the network must match the input power for the mid and the horn.

There are also some notch filters built in to help smooth out the horns response.

I've never personally heard these horns, they should image well if you mount them properly and complete the install. The mid drivers will work fine in the doors. The cool thing is that the CD1e horn bodies (assuming they are mini horns) are probably the best horn bodies they make. You can attach the CD1 pro or CD2 comp drivers to them. I have the CD1 setup and wished I had a set of CD1e bodies to go with them.

Let me know if you have any more questions....
Old 06-06-2003, 10:12 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

didnt know i was getting myself into that much work and what not.. thanks though, ill probably get back to you about this sometime.. ill be getting them probably in 1 or 2 weeks.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:46 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by KRA
didnt know i was getting myself into that much work and what not.. thanks though, ill probably get back to you about this sometime.. ill be getting them probably in 1 or 2 weeks.
I didn't mean to scare you about them....really, it's not as much work as it sounds. There's less work setting up horns then there is doing a set of kicks.

The key is to really plan it all out ahead of time.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:19 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

now, is that description on how to install them like, or the BEST sound. is there another option on how to install them, so they sound decent. im not looking for competition type sound.

and.. what are passives? never heard of them, i dont think they come with them. mind explaining what they are, do, where to get them...

thanks bro..
Old 06-07-2003, 09:21 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by KRA
now, is that description on how to install them like, or the BEST sound. is there another option on how to install them, so they sound decent. im not looking for competition type sound.

and.. what are passives? never heard of them, i dont think they come with them. mind explaining what they are, do, where to get them...

thanks bro..
That is how they are designed to work. Welcome to the world of horns . That's the only way I would recommend installing them, they are less forgiving then conventional speakers when placement is concerned because of their special dispersion characteristics.

With horns, often, there is no decent and comp level. For example with conventionals, there is door mounted (decent) and kickpanels (best) - now I don't want to start any arguments about where to put conventionals...it's just an example.

For horns there's either good or bad - it's more binary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14943

If you want to run your whole front stage from two channels of amplification, that's what you want to get. See the two boxes at the bottom, those are the passives. They allow you to run the horn and mid from the same channel, and it also matches the power from your mid to the horn. Because of the extreme sensitivity of horns (typically over 100 dB), they only need 10W - more then that is over kill. (for the record mine will have ~30...YIKES ... - it's overkill...but who said that's a bad thing)

When setting up horns, you should keep in mind the following rule of thumb - 1/3/5 -- for every watt you send to the horns, send 3 to your mids, and 5 too your subs.

The passive takes care of this for your mids, that way you can use one amplifier channel for left and right instead of two. It does all the matching for you.

Hope that helps you out, let me know if you have any more questions about them.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:37 AM
97teg

I was jsut reading on the id web site and it says the cd1e has an is internally highpassed. Wouldn't that mean it has its own crossover and can be hooked directly to an amp? Since they sell it seperate it seems like you wouldn't have to have an external passive or they would sell it with a passive cause it wouldn't work properly without it?
Old 06-07-2003, 10:57 AM
rcurley55

I stand corrected......sorry for the mis info, I have never used the CDve's and thought that you needed the passive...here's some more info that I dug up:

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=65681

For a synopsis....
Well if you're getting the full component set with the CD1E's, the external passive crossover comes with it, but if you are getting JUST the horns, as I have seen for sale sometimes on Ebay, you would either have to higpass them andpower them with their own amp like other horns or buy that crossover. The crossover is a passive crossover like one that would come with a traditional component set, except that it has some equalization settings for the horns. So if you got the full set, it would come with the horns, crossover, and mid/midbass. The only highpass you would need would be between the woofers and your subs and you would only need 2 channels of amp power to drive the full componet set (again, like a traditional component set with passive crossovers). For the record, I have not heard these, but certainly love my CD1Pro's! Next car, in maybe 2-3 years, I'll step up to the CD2's or the newer models that will probably be out by then.
Followed by:
Actually the CSX pasive does nothing as far as crossover functions for the Cd1E horns. all the CSX passive has some attenuation switches and also inline resistors to give the nominal impedence to theamp, based on what mid is used.

the cd1e have a natural roll off around 1.2khz.
You dnot need to externally highpass them. they really have no real impedence, its is in the miliohms, b/c they use a lightbulb as a resistor.
Again, sorry for the mistake....I guess you learn something new every day (I edited my previous posts to reflect this new info). :thumbup:
Old 06-07-2003, 01:43 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

well... i dont know if they are coming with passives or not, all i know, is that they are brand new in the box, so if they come in the box, im gettin them. i guess we'll just find out when i get them.

until then, theres not much i can do.. thanks for all your help, ill be back when i get them.

do you have aim? mine is k3ifers, even though my internet will be down until like midweek of next week.. i just find it easier to ask a million questions on that instead of here.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

well.. i got them, they are HUGE. the mouth of the horn part is so wide, i cant see them fitting in my car anywhere. i drive a 2door cavalier and theres no room.

any ideas?