Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
kevyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfred5279
no special equipment needed to do the flush. i think it just has bubbles in it. I never really opened the bolt on the block. I dont think its absolutely needed.

After adding fluid, you should start up the cold engine and leave the radiator cap off. Wait for the engine to get hot (about 15-20 min should be good) so that the thermostat opens up. You should see bubbles come up. Add more fluid/water as needed, then cap it off.

some hondas have a bleeder bolt at the end of the top radiator tube. I never use it. In fact i dont really know the proper way to use it. i believe you can bleed bubbles there too. but be carefull, the water is boiling hot, dont get splashed.

also note: DONT take off the cap on a hot engine. wait for the engine to cool, take the cap off, THEN start the engine, and wait for bubbles to come out.

Another problem could be that the thermostat needs to be changed. Check you manual for suggested change intervals.

I usually change my thermostat 40,000 miles or every 2years for the amount of miles i drive.

Thanks,

My 96 GSR has 297,000 miles and I have changed the radiator twice and it has ran warmer since I changed it the first time at 135,000 miles. The new radiator is suppose to be heavier than the OEM but it runs warmer. I noticed that it has bigger tubes running through it but since the tubes are bigger, there are less tubes than the OEM. I think the tubes are called cores but I dont remember... I't try you technique.