View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B16a2VTIguy
I didnt over bore the block no, it was just a stock 81mm bore and pistons.

I stupidly did not check my piston to wall clearance. Can i check this by removing the sump/oil tray etc? Just by feeling for excess play?

Its really hard to tell exactly were its coming from, especially as it only under-load.
It doesnt get any quieter or louder as it warms up, thats why i doubt its piston slap, because forged piston expand more when hot dont they?

If a rod main had like 0.04 clearance instead of the 0.02 would that cause a slight knock underload, or would it be obvious (get worse with miles quickly and knock on or off load?)
You have to check the piston to wall clearance by measuring the size of the bore and the diameter of the piston and taking the difference between the two.

The expansion of the piston depends on the silicone content. High silicone pistons expand less under heat than low silicone pistons.

You mention that the crank pulley has play in it. It shouldn't have any play in it at all. Try a new bolt and washer to see if that does anything. I had a similar problem with my crank pulley but I don't recall what it sounded like. Here is my thread about it: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=207874