Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 AM
2001TEGGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
Given the relatively cheap price of bearings, you can take your time and order several sizes to match up the sizes you need, checking and re-checking with plasti-gage.
Great info, but I think it only applies to OEM. Not really any choices with the others, see below...

Originally Posted by iceboy
acl has the advantage of being trimetal
But they only offer one standard size, and a few over/under size bearings. The over & under sizes are intended for use on a crank that has been "turned" or a block that had the main's "line honed". With most engine manufactures, this is common practice. Honda, however, chooses to run more precisely specified oil clearances.

Take this for instance...
Say you purchased ACL Standard bearings, for a Virgin, OEM Crankshaft & block. (Bearing surfaces are still original, Never line honed etc.) When you test fit & plasti-gauge, main #2 and rod #4 are out of tolerance by .00xx". What do you do then?

The only options I see are:
Order the next step "oversize" main's, and have the entire block "line honed".Then order the next "undersize" rod bearings, and have the rod journals turned. And after all this, you probably still wont have even clearances on every journal.

At that point, you've already bought 2 sets of ACL's, paid for a crank resurface and main "line bore/hone". By then you have exceeded the cost of OEM bearings anyway. Honda OEM bearings are available individually, and give you the option to fine tune at each individual journal. You can even use the "half step" method, which is 2 different colors on the same journal.

Ok, i'm officially done trying to persuade people to use Honda Engine Bearings. Sorry to sound like a broken record, maybe I am just too picky.