View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
...it's about 30k before a rebuild of the motor is needed as the apex seals just die so quickly (...) Kai is a moderator here and works on both rotary and is a Honda Tech - he can vouch for longevity
1986 Mazda RX-7 Sport. 173k miles, factory engine, never rebuilt or replaced. (still running)
1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL. 146k miles, factory engine. (sold in running order.)
I also have a spare factory 6port 13B in my garage with just over 200k miles. It has low compression, but still works.

Average turn-time on Mazda Rotary engines vary wildly depending on the driver and maintinence records. If the coolant is never changed, it will corrode out the aluminum supporting the water O-rings and "blow" the engine. If you drive it like an old woman, carbon will build up causeing various problems, none the least of which is carbon lock. Notice how many RX-7's are parked in running condition only to be sold years later as "blown" because they suffer from carbon lock... a problem that can be fixed.

The trick to Rotary engines is to rev the hell out of them and try to drive them, at least run them, once a week.

Anyway, Honda engines in general are much more forgiving to various drivers and road conditions... think of them as idiotproof cars. I've seen plenty reach the mid-200k's on factory engines. Run to your local junkyard and look for 86-89 Accords... it's near impossible to find one under 175k miles.