Thread: should i.....
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 02:49 PM
long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some benefits to the power supply in the JL...it means you always get full output from the amp, but conversely, it can be an amperage whore.....as input voltage decreases, amperage must be increased to maintain steady output. This can be an added strain on your alternator, depending on how good your electrical system is.
yeah thats one reason i was thinking of getting them. since my mb quarts are rated at 4 ohm's im not getting the full potential of my amp. since rf amps are rated at 2 ohm loads. my alternator sucks. i think im pushing 70 amps. i was going to get it rebuilt but the place in town said they cant rebuild mine since Hyundais suck or something

Power is king...enough said there. I don't see why you would feel that the 500.1 would be better for your subs....maybe the decreased amperage draw would be a benefit, but the decreased power output (800W v. 500-600 ish --- there are arguments as to what JL amps really put out) would hurt a bit in SPL capabilities. W3's are rated for up to 500W each, but that's stretching it according to JL....a pair of W3's on a 500.1 is definitely what would keep the people in the RMA department at JL happy
i was just thinking the 250a speaker would of been better rather then pushing the 400 a speaker since i have the bass turned all the way down. i mean all the way and my speakers bump! guess i might be wrong.

Well, again, both amp manufacturers can be a bit fuzzy on the ratings...some people say the JLs are under rated....I know for a fact that the RF is...I've used the older trapezoid series in the past, and not much has changed that I'm aware of. I'm certain that RF makes a capable amp, and if you have it properly setup, it should be putting out plenty of "good" power.
yeah i know my rf amp 400.4 is rated at like 560 at 2 ohms. but that would still be pretty low when its down to 4 ohms. my mb component set said something like 125 i think or maybe more. i cant remember.

In conclusion....would the JL's work for you...yes....if it was my $$$ and I simply wanted a change...I would run a 300/2 and the 500/1. But that's just me. I don't like amped rears...but the 300/4 would be a great setup to you. If you want to keep the setup...bridge the 400.4 to the fronts, run the rears off the headunit....you will get more power to the fronts. They will get more dynamic and louder. Should help you keep up with those subs. Just make sure the fronts can handle that type of power and that you have them properly crossed over
ya know i never though of running my component set of the amp and my 6x9's of the deck. how would i actually beable to do that? hook the 6x9's directly to the deck and bascially take out the extra set of rca's? the mid/highs really arent having a problem keeping up with the subs. its just when it gets to hot it will shut off.