View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 11:25 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wetsanding and Polishing

Usually after I do the spraycan painting process, I follow up with wetsanding and polishing to a finished professional shine and gloss. This will also rid the orange peel texture and finish with a smooth newly painted surface.

Following the final step found here: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=193519 ...wait about a week or so for the clear coat to dry and harden completely.

Materials needed:

•1500 Grit Sandpaper
•Rubbing Compound [clear coat safe/removes scratches 1500 grit or finer]
•Orbital Buffer
•Microfiber towel

First off, you'll need the 1500 grit sandpaper and water. I usually use the garden hose and spray when I need. What you want to do is to wetsand. Use the water to lubricate the sanding surface and use the criss cross method. Be generous with the water. It will aid in the sanding process. Do not apply too much pressure, what you want is to sand to a foggy haze on your surface. To do this, you might need to dry the surface from time to time to see if you have sanded evenly.

When dry, your evenly wetsanded surface when dry should look similar to this. Yes, it seems like all that work painting has gone to **** ...but this will be rewarding when done.

Next step, you'll need the orbital buffer and rubbing compound. I find 3M's Rubbing Compound to be the best. Apply rubbing compound to surface and light pressure on the buffer. Go across the surface and do not stay in one spot for too long as this will burn your fresh paint. Be generous with the rubbing compound and buff your surface with about 3 cycle passes. With each pass, your sanded surface should become shinier.

Once the surface is nice and smooth, go over with the microfiber towel and compound on surfaces hard to reach with the buffer. Wipe off access compound and see if you missed any spots. Repeat as necessary. Use the microfiber towel to finish up and clean off access compound.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0033.jpg (59.8 KB, 3243 views)
DSC_0031.jpg (73.1 KB, 3230 views)
DSC_0057.jpg (120.2 KB, 3243 views)
DSC_0059.jpg (54.9 KB, 3233 views)
DSC_0061.jpg (47.5 KB, 3223 views)
DSC_0068.jpg (58.2 KB, 3267 views)

Last edited by asiandoood; 06-25-2005 at 11:33 PM.