Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: How to paint your own wing/spoiler! (spraycan)

Old 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to paint your own wing/spoiler! (spraycan)

How to paint your own spoiler/wing with spraypaint!

This method can be applied to bumpers and body panels as well [DO AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Materials needed:

• 320 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 400 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 600 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 1200+ Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• Sanding block
• Masking Tape (painting masking tape recommended)

• Primer in spraycan (opposite color of color used)
• Color Paint in spraycan
• Clear Coat in spraycan

Ideal conditions will be about 65-85 degrees with about 50% humidity. Make sure you have adequate ventilation and respiration protection before doing any sanding or painting.

Amount of paint depends on size of can or size of object being painted. A typical normal sized lip spoiler will require about 1 full regular size can. Bumpers will require about 2 full cans.

DAY ONE -- Preparation and Primer

You first want to clean the surface of the object you are painting. Light detergent and water will do fine. Make sure you rinse and dry well. If you already have paint on the surface, you'll need to use the 320 GRIT sandpaper to prepare the surface. Sand with the sanding block using the criss cross method [sand left to right, alternate sanding up to down, repeat] What you want to a dull smooth surface. Once the surface is ready, you are ready for the primer coat.

My subject was previously painted. Using 320 GRIT, I sanded down to the surface using the criss cross method.

Next step...first primer coat.

Making sure your surface is clean and dry of any residue and dust, mask off any parts that do not need to be painted.

Read and follow all directions on the can before painting. You want to spray a very light first coat on the first pass.

After first pass, follow directions on can on when to add additional coats. Usually most paints say 5-10 minutes b/t coats depending on brand. Keep adding light coats until you cover the object you are painting with an even coat of primer. I usually put about 7-8 light coats or until object has an even coat of primer that is ready for sanding. You do not want to over primer the surface.

Once you have the primer coat done, let it sit overnight to dry.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wing1.jpg (76.1 KB, 2790 views)
wing2.jpg (66.9 KB, 2691 views)
wing10.jpg (125.0 KB, 2742 views)
wing4.jpg (58.1 KB, 2670 views)
wing6.jpg (78.1 KB, 2652 views)
Old 06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

DAY TWO -- Sanding primer and adding color/clear coats

After letting the primer surface to dry overnight, you are ready to sand the surface in preparation for the color coat.

Using the 400 GRIT sandpaper sand the primer coat using the criss cross method again. This step is very important in that you sand using moderate but even pressure. You want to sand to a dull smooth surface. Make sure there are no imperfections on the surface [divots, deep scratches, etc.] as these will amplify when applying the color coat. After getting a smooth sanded surface, apply and repeat the sanding process with the 600 GRIT sandpaper using the same criss cross method.

This will leave a super smooth surface ready for the color coat.
Attached Images
wing8.jpg (87.7 KB, 2632 views)
wing9.jpg (82.9 KB, 2602 views)
wing11.jpg (108.4 KB, 2592 views)
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

DAY TWO CONTINUED

You are now ready for the color coat. Make sure the surface is clean and clear of dust or water. Following directions on the can of paint, spray a very light coat of paint as your first coat.

After the first light coat, continue to coat the object with light coats until it is covered with an even coat of paint. I usually do about 5-6 light coats or until there is an even coat of paint.

Follow directions on can for drying time. Usually it varies about 1-8 hours depending of brand of paint. Once the color coat is dry, you are ready for the clear coat.

Again, follow directions on can for drying and reapplying times. You again want to apply a very light first coat, then reapply with an even wet coat of clear. Do this until you accumulate about 6-7 coats of clear. Do not rush this process. Be sure to give it at least some time before recoating between coats. I would usually finish the can of clear at this point.

...almost done! Let the clear coat dry overnight.
Attached Images
wing13.jpg (112.1 KB, 2592 views)
wing14.jpg (67.6 KB, 2600 views)
wing15.jpg (66.5 KB, 2571 views)
wing12.jpg (74.6 KB, 2612 views)

Last edited by asiandoood; 06-16-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

After letting it sit overnight, you can sit back and enjoy your do it yourself paintjob with spraypaint

This is not the end of the process yet, you may want to make that clear coat very smooth and glossy. To do this you will need to wait until your paint cures and dries completely. Wait about one week before we start the next step Stay tuned!! ....

**edit, follow up with wetsanding and polishing here**

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...95#post2381695

Attached Images
wing16.jpg (59.7 KB, 2588 views)
wing18.jpg (60.8 KB, 2531 views)
wing20.jpg (70.5 KB, 2523 views)
wing21.jpg (90.8 KB, 2558 views)

Last edited by asiandoood; 06-25-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
DakarM

this is a great DIY.

I would add that after the primer and the color coat dries over night, wipe down the item to be painted with lint free (very important to use lint free cloth) before starting with the next process.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Good stuff. I am thinking about painting my sideskirts and I will definitely use this writeup. Where did you buy the paint? I need frost white.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Good DIY. Good results too IMO.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:14 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Good DIY doood. I can't wait as I'd like to know how to get that mirror like finish on painted parts. After seeing yellowbastards thread on the new wax that he used on his Z put me at awe.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 PM
worm696

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Good stuff. I am thinking about painting my sideskirts and I will definitely use this writeup. Where did you buy the paint? I need frost white.
a local autozone or auto parts store is the easiest place to find color match rattle cans.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:42 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by Shmoo
I think some dealers will let you buy the color in a spray can. There was a car paint place out by me that will mix up the stock color in a can.