Thread: Brake Upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racerdave
I have a 94 EX, it has front and rear disks, I just lowered my car about 2" and got some TSW blades, and now I can really see how rusty and ugly my brake calipers are. So can anyone recomend a decent setup for me?

I dont want to spend a ton of $ I just want somthing that looks nice, and performs a little better than stock.

Also I was thinking:

If I get all new setup in the front (drilled/sloted rotors, and new calipers)

Is there a Honda/Acura that I can get larger (stock) calipers and rotors off of that will bolt on my rear?

Does that make any sence?
You don't need anything more that what you have if you aren't road racing it. The stock brake system works just fine for drag and street driving. The only area that you should upgrade on a street driven car is the pads.

Cross drilled rotors are completely unnecessary since your brakes don't get hot enough to need the holes while street driving. If you want new rotors, pick up a pair of Brembo OEM rotors. I have a set and they are great.

I painted my calipers since mine were rusted to shit and looked horrible when I had rims. I bought some of the spray that turns rust into black primer from my local autoparts store. The black looks really clean and it hasn't worn off at all. It also prevents further rust.

If you want to save your money, here is the chance. There are some many better things to buy besides unnecessary brake components. Do it cheap like I did.

That is just my $.02 to save you some money because bigger rotors or cross drilled rotors on a street car is for completely aesthetic purposes.