Notices

07 si... problems shifting into third gear

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
IntegraKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 si... problems shifting into third gear

OK....here is the deal. I have had my car for over a year now and it's really annoying because 85% of the time it shifts into third gear perfectly, but there is this other 15% where it just gets hung up on "something" and I grind or pop out of gear or just miss the shift!

What can I do???

I was looking at the Comptec short shift kit to hope and remedy the problem, but I am affraid it will actually enhance the problem too.

Suggestions gladly accepted!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Have you tried taking it back to the Dealer?

that's not normal
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntegraKing
OK....here is the deal. I have had my car for over a year now and it's really annoying because 85% of the time it shifts into third gear perfectly, but there is this other 15% where it just gets hung up on "something" and I grind or pop out of gear or just miss the shift!

What can I do???

I was looking at the Comptec short shift kit to hope and remedy the problem, but I am affraid it will actually enhance the problem too.

Suggestions gladly accepted!
Originally Posted by hitman619
Have you tried taking it back to the Dealer?

that's not normal

Unfortunatley this is a very common issue. I have heard from probably a 100 other 8th gen owners, including myself, that have had this same problem.

I took my car in to the dealer about 3 months ago and all they did was replace the trans fluid with the "newer formula". I still have recurring trouble with 3rd gear though.

You might try taking it in to the dealer, especially before you decide to put on a SS kit.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

How would a SS help?

Just be gentle on it, don't go slamming it into gear like you're the dude from 'the transporter'. I have the same problem... meh, I have coped.

I have read opening the MTF fill bolt when the fluid is warm will let some excess pressure out; helping a bit. :dunno:
Old 12-17-2007, 07:13 PM
gingas

That's something I feel Honda should have a recall on. No one w/ a car that new should have any problems. People paid too much for the Si's.
Good luck w/ getting that problem solved.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 AM
IntegraKing

OK... well after doing a bit of research on the net I have found the following GREAT news on edmunds inside line's web page:

Okay guys, I have big/good news:

The service manager at my local dealership got the word in and told me that Honda now officially recognizes fauly transmissions for its 6-speed transmission cars - as far as '03 Civic Si all the way to recent '08 models - including S2000s, Accords, and 6-speed Acuras.

There WILL be a fix issued in January 2008 - the exact date is not announced or known yet. This is not a total recall on all 6-speeds. Cars will be addressed in a case by case basis - basically if someone has a problem and it is recognized as being related to the confirmed 6-speed transmission issues - your dealership is obligated to fix your car for you free of charge, even if your car is no longer under warranty (past mileage or years).

The fix:

I didn't get very many details but basically I was told that for the the '06 - '07 Civic Si models (maybe '08 as well) that there is a transmission kit in the works that will fix the problems everyone is talking about - basically a crappy 3rd-gear and the hanging, grinding, and rejection when shifting. The tranny fix will change the gear syncrhos for gear 1 through 6 and will fix and improve the shifting of not only the 3rd gear, but of the gear box entirely. For those of us who get this fix, they will basically give you a new transmission - new fresh gears and re-synchronized, etc. Awesome.

Conlcusion:

So, everyone who's experiencing any problems at all - nows the time to bring your Si into the dealership and bring up the problem and ask about the transmission fix that's been announced. If the manager or service worker has no idea what you're talking about - tell them to contact Honda Motor Corp and ask because they should have been updated with instructions about the coming transmission fixes - the manager I spoke to didn't know but he had the intelligence to look into my problem further to find out if there was one.

Good luck everyone, by the Jan 2008 this issue should be taken care of once and for all, so go get your Si fixed. To anyone looking into buying the Si - I suggest you wait until January comes around so that the fix takes. Just make sure you're buying an Si that has the new transmission layout and the new required transmission fluid in it.

Vincent T. (Maryland)
'07 Civic Si Nighthawk Pearl w/ Nav

Now how much of this is true I'm not sure, but you can bet I will be making an appointment in the next month to look into this!

Read the whole article blog here:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/558
Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that info. I'll probably wait a little while before I take my car back in but at least they know I've brought it in for this issue in the past. So hopefully it actually gets taken care of next time. :x:
Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

the tranny issues originated in the rsx :hs:
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
IntegraKing

I just set an appointment for next week to have my car checked. I will post updates as to what the dealer says....I will also bring a copy of the edmunds report I posted earlier.

Cross your fingers this is resolved.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

that is good news, my fingers are crossed!

edit-- just read the article, that was a comment by some dude, probably fake... but hey, I'm still hoping!

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 12-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.