Notices

oil filter relocation

Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 AM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter relocation

I just changed my oil and filter last night; let me tell you, the filter is a BITCH! It's in the most awkward place and when you take it off oil spills all over the boots and steering rack. I can't stand doing this again, but I don't want some monkey working on my car, I'd rather be the one to mess things up.

I've been thinking about how I could relocate my oil filter to a more convenient place (maybe where my old OEM airbox used to be...). I know there are adapters that screw into the stock filter location that allow lines to be run to an oil cooler and filter. I don't need the oil cooler, just the adapter for the block and oil filter.

Anyone want to recommend a good company that sells the adapters (link)? I can just pick up the lines/fittings at a local shop.

On a side note, there was a small amount of oil leaking around the base of my old oil filter (note: I never touched the thing), anyone else have this?

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 01-09-2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: tits?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 PM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

uhhh...I would not relocate the oil filter

and maybe it wasn't on there tight enough....gasket could have been missing out of it..etc
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Buyimports2

How is relocating the oil filter to the airbox easier than unscrewing one and then screwing another one in? Isn't the oil also under high pressure?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:42 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
How is relocating the oil filter to the airbox easier than unscrewing one and then screwing another one in?
old airbox location, it’s gone now; therefore, lots of empty engine bay space… placing it there would make unscrewing one and screwing in another just that simple; my goal…

In its current location it spills oil all over the steering column and inner axel boot when you unscrew it... Also the angle at which you have to grab it is awkward, making it hard to twist the filter enough. The filter is near the front (the side with the chain, this keeps the filter away from the exhaust manifold) of the block, real close to the suspension, you can't just reach up and twist it off like on the B series; some parts of the cars design make it hard to work on, the spark plugs are another example.

In short, I don't want to have to clean up the mess and I don't want to deal with the awkward placement of the filter.

Originally Posted by FLAT_LINER
uhhh...I would not relocate the oil filter
Any good reasons not to relocate?

The only disadvantage would be the additional oil needed, as well as the price of the piece. The advantage is easier access, and maybe moving the oil filter further away from the block would allow the oil to cool off a little (I'm not trying to make this a performance mod, I'm just speculating)?

This is a convenience modification, not performance... btw

Note: I have seen the Greddy kit, but I don't need the name.

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 01-10-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Grammar, though I don't know why I should care...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
ErichPryde

Default useless reply

you know, I had a similar problem with mine- but the issue was that the stock honda filter was too soft, and it crunched a lot when we (a friend and I, he has all the tools) tried to get it off. I experimented with different angles to remove it from (we ran the car up some ramps), and then, magically, we just got it off. It wasn't even that hard- we were just going about it wrong. no spillage, either. not significant.
I replaced it with a K&N oil filter, and I'm hoping I don't have the same problem again when i have to replace it (which won't be soon, I went to mobil1 15,000 mile synthetic). Considering I've forgotten exactly what it was we did that worked, I probably will for a little while, and then find the exact right spot again.
Anyway, just throwing in my two cents. I didn't have a horrible time, so I wouldn't relocate my oil filter. I know it can be done, but I know very little about it.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 PM
silvic00

If you guys have this much trouble changing an oil filter, id take it to the dealership, obviously your not too mechanically inclined if you cant change your oil, and crush the oil filter in the process, id do some research and buy and read a haynes/chilton manual
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Originally Posted by silvic00
If you guys have this much trouble changing an oil filter, id take it to the dealership, obviously your not too mechanically inclined if you cant change your oil, and crush the oil filter in the process, id do some research and buy and read a haynes/chilton manual
Thanks for the helpful advice, I never realized that was an option lolwtfbbq!!!11one... I have plenty of mechanical experience, for a start: countless oil changes (most completed within 10 minutes), a complete engine swap, and installations of about every bolt on imaginable. I do all my own work on my cars because I know I can do the job right, mainly because I care about my cars. Some dealership guy only cares about getting the job done so he can get home in time to finish a whole case of beer before dancing with the stars comes on. Who do you think is going to do a better job?

Maybe next time I ask a question beyond the level of "how can I make my car faster?" or "what bodykit should I buy?" I'll post my credentials to save you some time.

So back to the real question, does anyone have experience with an oil relocation kit other than the one Greddy sells?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
silvic00

Originally Posted by AppleSauseSi

So back to the real question, does anyone have experience with an oil relocation kit other than the one Greddy sells?

Why relocate? just so its easier to change or laziness, either does not back your credentials, I could/would see if you maybe were going to run an oil cooler to relocate or whatever, but you dont wanna do that. No i do not have any experience with any relocation kit other than the Greddy kit that also included an oil cooler.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Why relocate? just so its easier to change or laziness, either does not back your credentials, I could/would see if you maybe were going to run an oil cooler to relocate or whatever, but you dont wanna do that.
The reasons for my relocation are not the topic of this thread. I am only interested in product information. If you would like to be the one to decide what is right for my car you can make the payments.

No i do not have any experience with any relocation kit other than the Greddy kit that also included an oil cooler.
How were the fittings in the oil cooler kit? Did you experience any problems, like leaking or poor oil circulation? What application did you use the kit on?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 PM
ErichPryde

Originally Posted by AppleSauseSi
Thanks for the helpful advice, I never realized that was an option lolwtfbbq!!!11one... I have plenty of mechanical experience, for a start: countless oil changes (most completed within 10 minutes), a complete engine swap, and installations of about every bolt on imaginable. I do all my own work on my cars because I know I can do the job right, mainly because I care about my cars. Some dealership guy only cares about getting the job done so he can get home in time to finish a whole case of beer before dancing with the stars comes on. Who do you think is going to do a better job?

HAHA! the dealership guys around here can't wait for american idol to come on, or so I hear.