Notices

Paint chipping off new Civic!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:03 AM
jerseyhondagirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chipping off new Civic!

I bought a white civic lx and have been driving it since Aug. 1st.

Yesterday I found a lot of little paint chips off the inner driver door frame (your back would be to this area as you get in/out of the car). I am so angry that this is happening. I found other areas where the paint is chipping off but in this area it is a mystery to me. I do not even touch this area getting in and out of the car!

Is there any recourse for such a horrible paint job situation. This car is going to look really crappy in a just a short period of time. O
Old 10-28-2006, 10:27 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

And this is a brand new 2006 / 07 model?
If so, the dealer needs to hear about this problem pronto.

That said, I wouldn't go ripping the sales manager's head off the moment you walk in the door. But impress upon them the severity of the problem and they will in turn contact Honda.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:47 PM
vassil3427

Yes immediatly take this to the dealer and make sure they take care of it, this is a serious issue, also examine the rest of the body and make sure this sint happening elsewhere. I've read on several boards now of people having severe chipping problems which seem to be from Honda applying thinner base/clear coats.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 AM
jerseyhondagirl

Yes, it's a 2006 model.

Thanks all. I will be sure to take the car to the dealer. I'll post an update and let you know what their reaction is.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

take it to HOnda!!! soon! any pictures??
Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
boltuprite

totally agree. I have an 06 EX (coupe) and haven't experienced this problem.
Paint chips from stones and road debris on the front end are normal, but inside the door? weird.

Let us know how the Dealer responds. Honda is generally very good at standing behind their products and making things right.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
jerseyhondagirl

Sorry guys...haven't been to the dealer yet.

First I figure I'd get the car washed so I can better inspect the entire car.

Now with the change in clocks it's dark when I get out of work! So, I'll take the camera to work with me and try and get some good pics for you all to see.

What do you think I could expect Honda to do to make this situation 'right'?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:09 AM
boltuprite

Honda should do a re-paint of all areas that are affected for you. If there is a flaw in the entire paint job, then the whole car should be re-painted for you.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Take It To Honda Asap! Don't Let Em Screw You Around Either!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
jerseyhondagirl

Photo below....

Okay I lucked out..the service director said to bring the car today because a Honda rep was there.

He says the paint that has chipped off is due to 'impact'. I find it hard to believe because I don't touch that part of the car when I get in or out and I am very careful with an umbrella when i get in or out. He asked if I let go of the seatbelt when getting out of the car or do I hold on to it. I told him I hold on to it..even if you do let it go, it doesn't reach that part of the door frame.

He recommended I purchase door edge guards which I will do. He noticed that the car was being kept clean and he was impressed that I even covered the floor mats with clear, rubbermaid ones that have a well in the middle to hold water from snow and rain.

Anyway, he did agree to have the area repainted, including that one spot on the door edge so I was happy about that.

Of course he wanted me to think he was agreeing to at as a favor and not a responsibility. I thanked him and said I hope this problem does not arise again in another area of the car.

Thank you for encouraging me to take it to the dealer. I really wasn't expecting such cooperation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My car door frame Nov 1 06.jpg (384.2 KB, 272 views)