Notices

All motor B18b

Old 07-17-2002, 08:12 PM
blubberbutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All motor B18b

Have any of you guys gone this route? If so, what is your current setup and quarter mile times?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:41 PM
DB7 2.0
Banned

i did.... and let me tell you this from first hand experience...it costs A LOT of money and the right setup to get you going quick. if you go with Crower cams, get the 404!!!!!! i had the 403's which were the street/race cams...and ummm... that thing was more like what the stock cams shouldve been from the beginning. the 404s are what you'll want to go fast. then get some higher compression pistons to up the power and torque some more... something like stock GSR pistons should be fine...even the B16 maybe. a ported and polished head with match ported intake manifold is a must along with a ported throttle body. a strong valvetrain is also a must in order to get full use out of the cams to rev higher to around like 7500-8000. itd be a good idea to get stronger rods and head bolts while youre at it. along with balancing the crank... knife edging isnt worth it in my opinion. then in my opinion the 2nd most important part to an all motor B18B setup is the tranny. toss that LS tranny or sell it to some turbo guy. and get yourself a GSR tranny. the ITR and B16 trannies are shorter geared than the GSR, but i think its "too short" for an LS in my opinion. the GSR is nice overall. if you keep the LS tranny, dont expect much from 3rd gear.

with my 403 cams, head job, and some other stuff, i dynoed the car at around 146-148 hp to the wheels @ 6000 rpm. torque checked in at around 127 lbs/ft @ 5200. the car pulled HARD in 1st and 2nd gear, but it let me down almost all the time in 3rd. i ran 15.9@87mph in my B18B sedan.... what a waste of money.

i now have a STOCK B20B and ran 15.4@91mph. the engine swap cost LESS THAN HALF of the money i put into the b18b and is a full 0.5 sec quicker with wheelspin in all of 1st.

b18b, go turbo or squeeze nitrous... other than that, toss it and swap it. :thumbup:
Old 07-17-2002, 10:47 PM
dubcac
I

Another vote for the squeeze :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 AM
blubberbutt

Thanks for the info! I was aware of the fact that it would not be cheap .... however, I have yet to find a route that was cheap ( I will NOT consider nitrous)! I can understand your disappointment with your minimal gains, however I am already running a flat 16 with nothing more than a header and a K & N air filter .. nothing more. I really am not looking for a monster ... just something with more oommph!

My other 2 options that I am considering are LS/VTEC (who isn't considering this?), or B20/VTEC. As a matter of fact, I have already purchased a B16 intake manifold, injectors, & fuel rail. I would like to be in the 14s ... I don't think that is too much to ask. I was thinking that I would be pretty close to my mark with the exact cams that you are referring to + spring kit, port and polish job on the head, mill the head, port and polish the intake manifold, bore out throttle body, CAI of course, header + exhaust system, lightened flywheel (nothing crazy, just the ITR one), and AEM pulleys. What 'cha think?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:42 AM
DB7 2.0
Banned

skip the pulleys and get an airfreshner...itll work better
Old 07-18-2002, 10:57 AM
eclipse spanker

Once again, forget about the LS/vtec .......it will be a very big pain in the ass for a minimal hp gain , compared to other things you can do for the same amount of money.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:08 AM
[HrZn]4life

Default huh?

I have a 98 teg LS.... I hit 15.4 @89mph with only a cold air intake, header, and just a muffler. 14's all motor for an LS is easily obtainable.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Etylorcen
Turbo Mafia Soldier

All in all its a waste of money and you dont get very fast. Only time I'd recommend this is if you are really into auto x, dont care what class you're in, and just want to have fun with some power.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:51 PM
[HrZn]4life

I agree on the point that LS tegs are not that good for al lmotor...but you can still pull 14's easily with not that much money; if you want to go fast in an LS...go turbo.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:59 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by eclipse spanker
Once again, forget about the LS/vtec .......it will be a very big pain in the ass for a minimal hp gain , compared to other things you can do for the same amount of money.
Do you have this stance on a b20vtec as well? I sure hope not....

Quick Reply: All motor B18b